So which camp are you in as far as XenForo

So which camp are you in

• Don't add anything it will just cause the core code to be bloated. Make everything an add-on!

Votes: 17 42.5%
  • Add it to the core code. It's not bloat its needed as part of the base software.

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • Why are you bothering me with this poll when I could be deciding the future of XenForo??

Votes: 10 25.0%

• Total voters
None of those choices apply. It really does depend on what is being discussed, as to whether I would want it as a core feature or an add-on.

That is one of the reasons for this poll (I was purposely not obvious about it). What 1 person thinks is a core need another is going to say it not needed or bloat. Me I could care less about blog but that is an absolute core requirement for many.

So the poll you posted really doesn't work.

That would depend on what poll was meant to show. And your post helped show exactly what I wanted it to.

, a lot of Admins have lost sight of what forums are actually for.

Is that what has happened or have forums just evolved? Forums in the beginning were for communications about subject XXX. Now that information can take on many forms and forums have adapted and evolved accordingly. Some information can only really be shared with pictures hence most forums have galleries. Many users still don't know how to put pictures on an off site and then link them to a forum. Do admins say "tough its your problem" or do they ask for a gallery to be added to the forum because they don't feel comfortable adding in a 3rd party app to make it easier for their users?

Forums are different things to different people and everyone has their own requirements.

My personal requirement for example is for a live chatbox, as it is used more than the forum during a race.
From what I've read on here, over 99% of people don't want a chatbox so I'll probably have to resort to an alternative solution for that.

A lot of people apparently want a CMS, Gallery or Facebook type features and integration.
I personally couldn't care less about any of those so I'd be happy for those to be mod's or add-ons.

The problem with mod's is upgrading becomes a nightmare.

Custom edits have to be done every time and if the mod author abandons the project or doesn't update it to work with new forum software then whoever's using the mod is stuffed.

I think it'd be best to have a core/basic code for the forum, with either professional/official addons for things like thanking a user, gifts, gallery, cms?, blogs, or albums etc.

Personally, I don't mind using addons for stuff, but if it's released by XF you know it will be high quality and working well and supported...
I keep asking myself, why not? Why don't the companies making the software make the more popular addons?

It is a lofty philosophical question. Nothing to do with xf.

I think it'd be best to have a core/basic code for the forum, with either professional/official addons for things like thanking a user, gifts, gallery, cms?, blogs, or albums etc.
Like replaces thanking, as it covers more in general.

Gifts is probably better off as an 3rd party solution, just because its not a large requirement, and it'll get more development from someone else.

The things that I think should be an official add-on would be gallery/albums, groups, blogs, portal/cms. 

I think the "official" addons should be the big ones, like a gallery, cms, blog, chat and portal. The ones that people are willing to pay for.

I keep asking myself, why not? Why don't the companies making the software make the more popular addons?

It is a lofty philosophical question. Nothing to do with xf.

Same reason Apple didn't program all their Apps ... same reason Facebook doesn't do all their applications

... one entity can not do it all ... the best method of operation is to have an easy developer addon system. :)

That would depend on what poll was meant to show. And your post helped show exactly what I wanted it to.
Well then, yaayyy for me!!
runnningaround.gif

Top Bottom