1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, walk me through this; VB to XF migration

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by grant sarver, Aug 8, 2011.

1. grant sarver

grant sarver Well-Known Member

As I understand it, after the migration, users have their usernames but not their passwords. Are they prompted on the first visit or do they have to know or be told or what? Tell me the fine details. I gotta bail from my VB4 site. Things are getting crazy over there. They should implode any day. LOL!

I understand the current limitations, but I am enjoying working with XF on my new site and I'm getting headaches keeping up with VB.

Peggy and erich37 like this.
  2. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I'm not 100% sure but I would guess that they are prompted because the majority of my users updated and signed in with no problems. I did receive a few messages via the contact us link and I sent them the direct link to update their passwords.

3. ibnesayeed

ibnesayeed Well-Known Member

As of my knowledge, passwords remain the same. There are some standard ways of how to encrypt the password. Usually it makes a hash like MD5 or Sha sum. Which is one way encryption and theoretically HARD to reverse it. Also, there is a built-in function in MySql PASSWORD which does almost the same thing. Hence, passwords can be imported from one application to the other, without exposing the actual password (because actual password is never been stored in the database) if they use same encryption technique. :)

4. turtile

turtile Well-Known Member

The passwords remain the same.

5. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Hmm, maybe the ones I had to send the reset link to had forgotten their passwords.

6. Saeed

Saeed Well-Known Member

Good luck with the conversion, Grant. :)

The passwords remain exactly the same and no one has to be informed about anything since nothing changes. ;)

I recently moved away from vB4 as well. In case this helps:
    Migration Experience - vBulletin 4.0.6 to XenForo

7. grant sarver

Thank gang! Still need to decide on what to use for CMS and how to replace VBgallery.

8. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

Abduct Kovifor and make him finish Galleria at gunpoint.

Shelley and Saeed like this.
  9. SchmitzIT

SchmitzIT Well-Known Member

We switched to Jaxel's XenPorta for a CMS. Works well :) As for the Gallery, I'm also waiting for KingK's Galleria to come out.

Saeed likes this.
  10. SchmitzIT

SchmitzIT Well-Known Member

By the way, grant. If you need any assistance, just chuck me a PC. I've done a number of conversions so far, some test ones, and two actual live migrations.

Saeed likes this.
  11. grant sarver

Thanks Schmitz! I gotta get all my ducks in a row first.

12. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

http://xenforo.com/help/importing/

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/frequently-asked-questions.5183/#post-180455

Will member passwords be lost after importing?
    Multiple password schemes are supported, so if the system you are importing from uses a compatible password system, then all existing passwords will continue to work as before. The vBulletin and IP.Board importers are supported. Refer to the Importing section of the XenForo Help Manual for more information.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/pre-sales-faq.4951/

Saeed likes this.
  13. Floris

Floris Guest

Import Scripts that come with XenForo can fully support the internal functions that xenforo offer, there's no need to use a third party importer like impex or whatever. These scripts that hook into the system can be told how the source system stores passwords (method), and therefor will work when the user logs in. Unlike with third party scripts.