So... the vB big cheese says vB will be all good in 6-12 months..

Status
Not open for further replies.

sross

Originally Posted by Fabian Schonholz
Right now it doe not. But in 6 to 12 month you will see the difference; by miles.

Somewhat surprising to see vB with up to a 1yr time frame to make vB4 a 'gold' quality release. Seeing what xF have done already in this short time leads me to think xF can head them off at the pass. If xF can pull off a good release in 5 months with a solid vB migration tool, well vB are in big trouble..

I just thought I would highlight what I need at a minimum to migrate my million post forum to xF:
-comprehensive vB import tool
-xF groups so that my social groups can also come over
-a gallery system that can import vbgallery (currently I am using vBgallery so maybe xF can get photopost working on this now)

That's roughly it, so I'll keep my eyes peeled. Why do I think xF is the answer? Well.. people do not buy what you make, they buy why you make it. Kier and these guys seem genuine in why they are doing this and that appeals to me. vB has taken the corporate all mighty dollar approach and it shows not only in their customer service failures but software.

I would like to think they will forge their own userbase without relying on any other software "failing" :)

This product like all others lives or dies on it's own, and personally I think it will soar!!! :D

There is plenty of talk about competition and competitors and it may be helpful to know that our strategy is simply to offer forum owners (and users) a new forum software experience. We think that people will like our offering and be excited to use XenForo. This in turn may give existing forum users another choice for their new or next forum project! Whilst it is logical that this all ends up as 'competition' it is not currently part of our strategy. As Dragonfly said, we are keen to build our own list/group/database of users in our own right! We are working hard so that XenForo users are thrilled to use XenForo, as owners and users!

this post makes me laugh ... this in incredible ... a year is gone, and their product is still immature ... and now they are re-factoring? no thanks. vB 3.8.x was a great product, really, the Suite probably has great potential, but right now simply sucks, and also they have choose a wrong way to develop it ...

$ 0.02

I've edited out the complete quote there, Grover - it's their news, not ours. I'm sure they would prefer that any feedback people might have be addressed to them, not to us.

No problem Kier, that why I said: (if postings/discussions are not allowed on XenForo's forums, please let me now then I will correct it). Thank you for correcting it yourself.

As a constructive suggestion to make it more clear to us what the rules are: it would be a good idea to put clear directions somewhere in the 'Terms of Services/Forum Rules.' So there can be no misunderstandings and people won't 'break rules' unknowingly.

(and to a XenMod:... a thread like this belongs to Off Topic aswell I think?)

No problem Kier, that why I said: (if postings/discussions are not allowed on XenForo's forums, please let me now then I will correct it). Thank you for correcting it yourself.

As a constructive suggestion to make it more clear to us what the rules are: it would be a good idea to put clear directions somewhere in the 'Terms of Services/Forum Rules.' So there can be no misunderstandings and people won't 'break rules' unknowingly.

(and to a XenMod:... a thread like this belongs to Off Topic aswell I think?)

Grover this calls for an mean infraction ;) ... kidding aside ... lets focus on the future and how our community here will get there with xenforo. :)

Yuck, so was 4.0 just a money grab like others have said, to finance VB5.0?
I wish I could say I'm surprised, but given Ib's apparent reputation of destroying communities/products it takes over, this doesn't look any different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom