So, Nexus 5 or not...?

Liam W

in memoriam 1998-2020
I was going to be getting a Nexus 7 for my birthday (a week tomorrow...), however my phone really is starting to die now (it's a SGS2, I got it second hand - it was purchased pretty much when they came out), so I'm thinking a Nexus 5.

The fact it's a Nexus and it has 4G is what makes me want it, as well as the other things...

I'm UK based, in case you don't know :)

Anyone have a N5? Whats bad about it?

Would you recommend it for me as a (16th) birthday present?

Liam

I've moved from a Nexus 4 to Nexus 5.

Very decent phone, and does everything I need. Since the latest update though it's not been as stable as my N4.

Bad points:

Fixed Battery and non upgradeable with sd card

Picky Wifi. It will connect and look great with my DD-WRT router but not actually send or receive (and ive checked frequencies etc etc to no avail).. I've had to install a second router specifically for my N5.

People complain about the camera but its better than the N4 so its a thumbs up from me.

That's about it.

I own a Nexus 5. IMO it's the best Android phone you can get these days and generally one of the best phones available. Plus most carriers also have it unlocked and you can always buy it from Google as well. I say you should go for it.

The fixed battery is what really gets me, if it had a removable battery I wouldn't be hesitating :ROFLMAO:

I play Ingress a lot (should be obvious), and that's a biiiig battery sucker...

I don't really use WiFi (only use it at school, and when I'm on holiday, I can't connect to the home wifi - mac address limited).

Has anyone used the LTE? I'm on three.

I own a Nexus 5. IMO it's the best Android phone you can get these days and generally one of the best phones available. Plus most carriers also have it unlocked and you can always buy it from Google as well. I say you should go for it.

Carrier = network, right?

Not here, they always charge (£15, it's a right rip-off), however I would buy it from Google anyway, no doubt about that.

One issue: It takes a micro-sim, right? I've got a normal one... I'll have to find my old SIM cutter (or ask three).

Liam

Carrier = network, right?

Not here, they always charge (£15, it's a right rip-off), however I would buy it from Google anyway, no doubt about that.

One issue: It takes a micro-sim, right? I've got a normal one... I'll have to find my old SIM cutter (or ask three).

Liam

Yep, some carriers do charge but some don't. Where I live most already offer it unlocked, though the contract remains as is.

And yes, it uses a micro sim.

I want a Nexus 5 so bad... The reason I want the Nexus 5 is because its a "Nexus" phone. The Nexus moniker implies that its stock Android; no fluff, none of that crap manufacturer ********. I don't want anything like HTC Sense or Samsung S-crap on my phone. I just want pure google.

Sadly, I have Verizon; and no other carrier is an option since I technically have unlimited data and push out something like 15gb of bandwidth a month (upload).

I want a Nexus 5 so bad... The reason I want the Nexus 5 is because its a "Nexus" phone. The Nexus moniker implies that its stock Android; no fluff, none of that crap manufacturer bull****. I don't want anything like HTC Sense or Samsung S-crap on my phone. I just want pure google.

Sadly, I have Verizon; and no other carrier is an option since I technically have unlimited data and push out something like 15gb of bandwidth a month (upload).

I use at lesst 15GB in a month, I used more than 30 once.

Thank the world for truly unlimited data :P

Why isn't it on Verizon? Can't you just stick Verizon sim in it, as it's unlocked?

I use at lesst 15GB in a month, I used more than 30 once.

Thank the world for truly unlimited data :p

Why isn't it on Verizon? Can't you just stick Verizon sim in it, as it's unlocked?
The problem is that Verizon is outright REFUSING to register Nexus 5 devices on their network. The reason why its not on Verizon is that with the moniker "Nexus", the device must remain pure Google. Verizon doesn't want that, they want to pre-install their ******** like vCast and all that jazz. Since Google wont allow that, Verizon wont allow the phone on their network.

The other issue is that Verizon uses band 13 of the mobile network. Since Google knew Verizon wouldn't accept the phone, they did not enable support for band 13 on the Nexus 5. Verizon is slowly rolling out band 4 networks, but the coverage is limited.

The problem is that Verizon is outright REFUSING to register Nexus 5 devices on their network. The reason why its not on Verizon is that with the moniker "Nexus", the device must remain pure Google. Verizon doesn't want that, they want to pre-install their bull**** like vCast and all that jazz. Since Google wont allow that, Verizon wont allow the phone on their network.

The other issue is that Verizon uses band 13 of the mobile network. Since Google knew Verizon wouldn't accept the phone, they did not enable support for band 13 on the Nexus 5. Verizon is slowly rolling out band 4 networks, but the coverage is limited.

They sound evil. Actually, all US networks sound evil.

Especially on pay as you go...

Top Bottom