So much for Reddit

I'm only aware of one such conglomerate, and from my experience they do not interfere with the severity (or not) of the moderation.
I follow a handful of their automotive forums and I agree--moderation depends on who they get to volunteer for the job. They are not "corporate" positions, in other words. On one of the forums I've had hte most use for, one of the long-time moderators tried to recruit me to moderate (as he got wind of what I do), but I mentioned that for once, it's nice to be part of a forum and not have the extra work hanging over my head.

I've noticed that some small, niche forums in a smaller category of sites have been getting bought up. A shame, since I would have offered to take them over myself. One of those forums actually begged me to donate via PM. I did not reply back, although given the tone of the message, I felt as though I'd been spammed. Given their traffic, I know (as we all do) what it costs to run a forum, so it made me wonder if it wasn't so much covering costs as it was an owner having to make a house payment that month...

Unfortunately, plenty of adults quickly turn to trolls on given subjects, based on my 20+ years running online forums.
This.

Also if you have those that follow you around just to be a pest they can be annoying too.

I think they probably got it from social media where there are too many of these pests

Yes, but my point was they fixed that for us no problem. And on here you may not say ****.
That's not a real problem though. It's there because people were using it as an insult.
On bigfooty you have certain known swearwords to be censored. It's for the same reason.
You're better off not heading for an insult.

Unfortunately, plenty of adults quickly turn to trolls on given subjects, based on my 20+ years running online forums.
I do have in my rules that blatant trolls will be banned. If their only purpose is to disrupt discussions, then they're gone. But they can use adult language and not be banned. :)

I do have in my rules that blatant trolls will be banned. If their only purpose is to disrupt discussions, then they're gone. But they can use adult language and not be banned. :)
On my own forum i have rules around both trolls and abusive language. Whilst we can all drop the occasional swearword on there we don't like it when people use these words to insult others. That's where the abusive replies all start if you let them tell you to where to go. Or they might use the c bomb which is just not on. I know it's not on here for example.
(you need to remember these guys are mainly based in the uk. If you're brought up by anyone in the uk you know you don't use bad langauge around them)
There's been plenty of times where i've actually had infractions on here because of my use of language.

Whilst we can all drop the occasional swearword on there we don't like it when people use these words to insult others.
Of course, I agree with that. It's another matter when it's trollish or personal attacks. My point is that my forum does not auto-censor swear words. Our language is colorful, and we are adults. I served in the Navy on a ship, where it was OK to say, "Pass the ****ing salt and pepper, please." :ROFLMAO:

(you need to remember these guys are mainly based in the uk. If you're brought up by anyone in the uk you know you don't use bad langauge around them)
There's been plenty of times where i've actually had infractions on here because of my use of language.
I've blocked all registrations from the EU due to the GDPR laws, which I simply will not comply with. (That should elicit some interesting responses! LOL!) I'm not looking for a debate on that, though. But I've always admired the British for their dry humor and linguistic skills!

Of course, I agree with that. It's another matter when it's trollish or personal attacks. My point is that my forum does not auto-censor swear words. Our language is colorful, and we are adults. I served in the Navy on a ship, where it was OK to say, "Pass the ****ing salt and pepper, please." :ROFLMAO:

I've blocked all registrations from the EU due to the GDPR laws, which I simply will not comply with. (That should elicit some interesting responses! LOL!) I'm not looking for a debate on that, though. But I've always admired the British for their dry humor and linguistic skills!
I'm a bit different, i'll let people in from all English speaking countries.
I think i saw something that one of the staff here posted up in another thread that was talking about banning countries.
There's an app i probably should be getting.

For connections, use CloudFlare and the WAF rules.

Screen Shot 2023-07-25 at 6.56.31 AM.png

Of course, VPN, TOR, and proxy servers can easily get around that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom