So much for Reddit

Reddit is a load of overmoderated crap to be brutally honest.
My experience as well in several reddit forums (not all though).

Brogan's first-timer experience is not unusual, that happened to me in a couple of forums (unrelated to woodworking). The fact that they are not onboarding new visitors shows that the organizers & mods of the subforum don't know how.

There is no quality control over forums or their moderators. Other than that people either use them or not. The crowd votes with its feet.

It's necessary to forum-surf Reddit to find the one that suits. It's hit or miss. Might find one, might not.

My experience as well in several reddit forums (not all though).

Brogan's first-timer experience is not unusual, that happened to me in a couple of forums (unrelated to woodworking). The fact that they are not onboarding new visitors shows that the organizers & mods of the subforum don't know how.

There is no quality control over forums or their moderators. Other than that people either use them or not. The crowd votes with its feet.

It's necessary to forum-surf Reddit to find the one that suits. It's hit or miss. Might find one, might not.
Reddit's a load of overmoderated crap.

Think of Reddit as you do with Proboards. Proboards allows us to use their subforums. But you have their set of rules and your own set of rules.
Problem is with proboards is that you can report people for abuse too easily and their site gets taken down.
You report something on Reddit and they ban the person's account that runs that community for allowing it.

You won't like it too much. Because you have the main set of rules from Proboards just like you do with Reddit. You have your own rules on proboards. your own rules can get your forum banned. The same with Reddit. Reddit can ban your community on whatever it might be the topic.
Let's say you run the Woodworking community over on reddit. Just for example's sake you have @Brogan join it just to ask something and his comment gets banned which is silly.
He goes on to another site and finds what he needs.

That's what Proboards is like with their subforums.

Forums get reported because of how abusive people can be on there.

I can imagine you going on to a financial community on Reddit and asking silly questions which leads to you getting banned.

If you were to run a forum on proboards and you said something silly on it that was reportable. You'd see your forum go down the gurgler.

If you created your own forum using xenforo and had your own rules you would have no problem. Unless @Brogan decided to ban your forum and license.

You can laugh all you want mate.

But the thing is it's the truth about those sites.

It only takes somebody smarter to move away from social media platforms because they're not that great.

One thing is don't make your site like reddit because it will just annoy others.

The OP is interesting, not because it's directed at Reddit, but because it's a symptom of any overmoderated community with confusing registration requirements. We've likely all joined forums where you couldn't post right away, or you didn't have the right permissions to access the right forum or a hidden forum or to download a certain resource, and none of those instructions were published.

The moral of the OP shouldn't be: "reddit sucks." The moral for all of us to elevate our community experience should be:
  • Users expect an easy onboarding experience
  • Users demand speed to resolution
  • Forum admins need to balance quality vs quantity of new users
  • Forum admins need to clarify and be upfront about registration requirements

There is a tendency for communities - whether on Reddit or self hosted - to become more bureaucratic, more ossified, and more burdened by rules and guidelines as time goes on. That Reddits rule was probably well-meaning at the time, but it clearly comes at a cost to the new user experience. Every forum admin should challenge themselves to continually rethink and reevaluate the new user experience every year and to make it simpler and more transparent.

The OP is interesting, not because it's directed at Reddit, but because it's a symptom of any overmoderated community with confusing registration requirements. We've likely all joined forums where you couldn't post right away, or you didn't have the right permissions to access the right forum or a hidden forum or to download a certain resource, and none of those instructions were published.

The moral of the OP shouldn't be: "reddit sucks." The moral for all of us to elevate our community experience should be:
  • Users expect an easy onboarding experience
  • Users demand speed to resolution
  • Forum admins need to balance quality vs quantity of new users
  • Forum admins need to clarify and be upfront about registration requirements

There is a tendency for communities - whether on Reddit or self hosted - to become more bureaucratic, more ossified, and more burdened by rules and guidelines as time goes on. That Reddits rule was probably well-meaning at the time, but it clearly comes at a cost to the new user experience. Every forum admin should challenge themselves to continually rethink and reevaluate the new user experience every year and to make it simpler and more transparent.
The challenging thing about those things are that all of that attracts serial internet pests to post like they do on reddit and then think it's all ok for them to post like that everywhere else.
Sure i'd like to see the guys here on xenforo have everyone on account approval but i don't see it happening myself because it's one of life's first world problems if you get that.

That Reddits rule was probably well-meaning at the time, but it clearly comes at a cost to the new user experience.
All good points! 👍

That was only one subreddit with a strict rule, and I can somewhat empathize with the moderators for taking that action. Reddit is, unfortunately, populated with trolls, haters, and others bottom feeders who either have poor social skills or have a mission to create trouble. Joining a subreddit is as simple and easy as clicking "Join," whereas joining a forum requires a person to give and email and perhaps other personal information before they can join, and XenForo has a few systems in place (built-in or through addons) to vet the new membership. It takes effort, in other words, to join a forum, where a subreddit is a no-effort process. There are also many Reddit users who use throwaway accounts, which also invites abuse.

That no-effort process is what made me move from a clone of the text-based wwwboard (which you could post to immediately as it did not have a user account system) to phpBB. The number of trolls and then spammers started hitting our boards so I had no choice. phpBB was also a headache but that is another story.

The environment that is feeding the subreddits is the problem, unfortunately. And that is aside from how Reddit is shooting itself in the foot lately, first with the expensive API access that triggered protests (that had little effect), and now something to do with coins and rewards being eliminated, and the deletion of old chat messages since they moved to a new chat platform.

A forum i go on at the moment is full of overmoderation and it's a shocking place to actually post on.

A lot of forums have been bought up by one or two Canadian conglomerates. Ironically, they use a customized version of XenForo as their universal platform across all the forums they own. Hint: They own a lot of "outdoors activity" and other hobby related forums.

They are quite strict with their moderation when it comes to language or politically-charged topics. I find such moderation to be tedious and a turn-off. We're adults. We don't need to be coddled or supervised like children.

And those conglomerates or forum aggregators... have reportedly killed a number of thriving forums due to their overzealous moderation.

And that's why my forum is not overmoderated. Amazingly... the members comport themselves quite well! Go figure.

Last edited:
A lot of forums have been bought up by one or two Canadian conglomerates. Ironically, they use a customized version of XenForo as their universal platform across all the forums they own. Hint: They own a lot of "outdoors activity" and other hobby related forums.

They are quite strict with their moderation when it comes to language or politically-charged topics. I find such moderation to be tedious and a turn-off. We're adults. We don't need to be coddled or supervised like children.

And those conglomerates or forum aggregators... have reportedly killed a number of thriving forums due to their overzealous moderation.

And that's why my forum is not overmoderated. Amazingly... the members comport themselves quite well! Go figure.
Plenty of truth to that statement.

Don't get me wrong it's all about the rules.
Even some adults can act like little kids.

With my own forum we're all asked to be polite.

They are quite strict with their moderation when it comes to language or politically-charged topics.

I'm only aware of one such conglomerate, and from my experience they do not interfere with the severity (or not) of the moderation. They do give their admins and mods only very limited permissions though, and so the admins have no immediate control for example over the censor list, but when requested they have customised the list based on what a very wanted. For example on one such forum I am admin, the word **** was asterisked. They changed this when requested due to it being common in a brand name but also common as a name, as in **** van Dyke

I'm only aware of one such conglomerate, and from my experience they do not interfere with the severity (or not) of the moderation. They do give their admins and mods only very limited permissions though, and so the admins have no immediate control for example over the censor list, but when requested they have customised the list based on what a very wanted. For example on one such forum I am admin, the word ** was asterisked. They changed this when requested due to it being common in a brand name but also common as a name, as in ** van Dyke
Yeah... I think it is all one big company. But they do operate under a couple of names. Pretty sure they are connected.

Yeah... I have to laugh when they censor the shortened name for Richard... and others. Even if "bleeped" out, everyone knows what the ****ing words are by the context. (<--Intentionally added the *s to make the point.) Our brains fill it in automagically! The molly-coddling is unnecessary and contrived. Who, exactly, are we fooling?

Even if "bleeped" out, everyone knows what the ****ing words are by the context. (<--Intentionally added the *s to make the point.) Our brains fill it in automagically! The molly-coddling is unnecessary and contrived.
Absolutely agree with this in some industries. We all knew you meant dancing so why mess about censoring it???

Top Bottom