So, motivate me to replace mysql with Percona!

TheBigK

I want you all to motivate me to replace mysql with Percona. I'm a total n00b when it comes to server administration and have been happy with MySQL & LiteSpeed.

My host has been really nice with their support; but no one really wants the database to crash when the site's getting huge traffic. I've remember reading about Percona and how great it is.

So - motivate me to go with Percona. :cautious:

Reactions: rdn
Our site was able to cope much better with load once we moved to MariaDB.

But I'll let someone else with more knowledge than me on the subject advise you on which one of those is better :D

Thanks Chris. Did your site ever experience database crash under load? My options are
  • Get my hosting folks to optimise the database.
  • Install Percona and enjoy all the benefits it offers
  • Upgrade to a more capable server; maybe with more memory (but that'd cost $$, which I'm trying to save).

I've seen exceptional performance gains after we moved from Apache to LiteSpeed. So maybe a simpler move could save a ton of headache later.

We used to experience crashes on Apache and MySQL at around 700 users. We eventually moved hosts to Nimbus which is nginx and MariaDB. The VPS wasn't much more capable than the previous one. We seemed comfortable at around 5,000 online users on a particular day last year. I think we saw it go as high as 7000 but that's when naturally the server began to struggle to cope.

I want you all to motivate me to replace mysql with Percona. I'm a total n00b when it comes to server administration and have been happy with MySQL & LiteSpeed.

My host has been really nice with their support; but no one really wants the database to crash when the site's getting huge traffic. I've remember reading about Percona and how great it is.

So - motivate me to go with Percona. :cautious:
It's easy to do, and it's a drop in replacement. I've just set up another VPS and used MariaDB and it takes all of 5 minutes to swap them over.

Just replacing MySQL with Percona won't save you any problems. If your database crashes now, it will do the same with Percona if you don't optimize your configuration.

I installed Percona about a week ago and I've noticed some moderate improvements, I'd suggest you go for it and see the results for yourself, you'll surely gain something than that of MySQL.

As the others have said; it's pretty straight forward and it's a drop-in replacement to MySQL.

I'm not on a computer at the minute so I can't go in-depth with my findings, but will do so once I get some time later on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom