So is there any mobile style planned?

I'm sure someone will come in and create a mobile style, I'd prefer if they focused on other features of the forum rather than a mobile style.

But for the record I would love to see one :)

I would love to see one as standard with the package but I don't expect it in 1.0...

Problem with mobile styles and vB is that when vB made changes to the template system it NEVER merged correctly with the mobile style because there was so many changes... If there was an official style released from xenForo then further mobile styles could be based of this and would make upgrading nice and easy...

I know it does mean more work for them as they have to maintain 2 styles but I really would love to see it none the less...

Other option is to try and style the normal style to look great on mobile with just CSS, but that can be hard.

Actually, it doesn't. That screenshot of Kier is 'zoomed in' much much bigger then what it looks like on your Iphone in the real world. I mean, it looks quite nice yes in practice, but it is simply hard to read when you use your iPhone in Portrait mode and double click (so it automatically zooms in to fit on the screen) on the posting area. Almost unreadable (especially with bad eyesight), because the fontsize is too small. It is much better readable and almost only usable that way in Landscape mode, actually.

I think it's obvious why there needs to be a mobile style.

This is what it more or less (it's a little sharper on the Phone) looks in real life:

iPhone screenshot xenForo real-life example.webp

Do you think this is convenient reading?

Personally I don't think there is the need for xenForo to have an official mobile theme, none the less, if they do offer one then we don't/can't argue. I myself of course use a smartphone to browse web sites and it does the job fine although with slight visibility errors here and there, something I can't really take for granted.

By stating that we don't really need xenForo to create a mobile based theme, I'm not stating that there shouldn't be a mobile theme at all. I do think there should be a mobile based theme but I think that one of the members should do that job and take it off the staffs shoulders. Of course, if I can get my hands on the styling system when it's released, I may give it a shot. ;)

Actually, it doesn't. That screenshot of Kier is 'zoomed in' much much bigger then what it looks like on your Iphone in the real world. I mean, it looks quite nice yes in practice, but it is simply hard to read when you use your iPhone in Portrait mode and double click (so it automatically zooms in to fit on the screen) on the posting area. Almost unreadable (especially with bad eyesight), because the fontsize is too small. It is much better readable and almost only usable that way in Landscape mode, actually.

I think it's obvious why there needs to be a mobile style.

This is what it more or less (it's a little sharper on the Phone) looks in real life:

View attachment 514

Do you think this is convenient reading?

I personally think that a good mobile skin for XenForo would have significantly more value than an iPhone app at this point.

Not that XenForo renders badly on mobile devices, on the contrary it renders very well (see here) but many of the UI elements are not designed for touch interaction, and therefore may be expecting hover operations or may be too small to effectively click without zooming in.

I have plans and designs for a mobile skin, though I can't say when it will debut at this point.

He already has plans for a mobile skin. Hopefully he includes a way to increase or decrease text size on it.

Top Bottom