XF 1.5 SMTP not using TLS 1.2?

octabrain

Hello,

we got a mail from our host (IONOS/1&1) saying that they will deactivate unencrypted access or access with TLS < 1.2 to email accounts. And they singled out one account, that is supposedly being accessed with TLS < 1.2. That account is only being used to send mails from the forum.
Also in the admin area under User Upgrades it shows the message: 'Starting in June 2017, PayPal will require all requests to use TLS 1.2 and your PHP configuration does not have the required SSL libraries to support this. Without TLS 1.2 support, user upgrades will not be processed correctly after this date. Please contact your host or system administrator for guidance.'
If I'm checking the forum here: https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=forum.beziehungsdoktor.de it shows TLS 1.2.
Is it possible that the xenforo installation, which is still running version 1.5.9, for some reason doesn't use TLS 1.2 when communicating with the mail server? Encryption is set to TLS in the Email Options in the admin area.
How can I make sure the forum is actually using TLS 1.2?

It's probably the libraries for XF for sending mail that is not using the required version of TLS.
The only effective way, AFAIK, is to upgrade your XF install (which unluckily is long past EOL) to a newer version.

It kind of amazes me that some organizations, like the host above, are still just getting around to this. In corporate IT, we've been working to get rid of old versions of TLS for a while now.

Top Bottom