Implemented Smilies under type box

Shelley

Dunno if this one will be accepted and welcomed but I would love (as default) to be able to select smilies from under the type box (like princetons hack). For my own preference I like smilies i use to be on view rather than selecting them via a dropdown. Maybe it can be an option to enable or disable? useful for people with large amount of smilies. Yes, you guessed it another Mockup. :D (Mockup Below)

Or maybe what you did in the thread display with the hide options feature. A tab. would be hidden and can be opened at will (added a mockup for this like in thread display)

Attachments

• smilies-under-post.webp
    smilies-under-post.webp
    26.3 KB · Views: 175
  • smilies-more-options.webp
    smilies-more-options.webp
    9.1 KB · Views: 347
Upvote 18
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I too like it the way it is now. However, knowing how many smilies I have........ Shelley's suggestion is perfectly legit.

So, +1

Yep, the current dropdown won't work for lots of smilies.

So either a pop-up or extra pane, hidden or visible.

You could for example have another button next to "Upload a file".

I too like it the way it is now. However, knowing how many smilies I have........ Shelley's suggestion is perfectly legit.

So, +1

-1, so the suggestion is more neutral. :p

Hmm, yeah, like if it's larger than 15 smilies.

I like the idea of switching to the bottom view after x amount of smilies is located.

You could probably use the bottom box to help "break" smilies apart when they're in groups (assuming there's a smilie category feature or something).

I like the second picture :O

smilies-more-options-png.412

I've always thought vBulletin needed a smilie popout option with the state stored in the user record.

I personally feel implementing this way it's a win win. People who don't like the clutter needn't open the box, people who use loads of smilies (which loads do) will benefit. I really hope kier and mike consider this one, this is one suggestion I would love to see accepted.

Mock up #2 looks spot on.

Something like that would definitely be useful (and almost essential). I didn't even think about it until now, but scrolling through 50+ smilies using the drop-down could be cumbersome. :eek::D

Something that has to be considered is that people often use smilies of widely varying sizes. But I do like the look of the tab. I want to turn the smilie menu into more of a grid, though I think I'd have to fight with TinyMCE to do it.

I hate to do this as it's from a vB site but this is how the editor looks on AVForums.

editor-png.415

Now I'm not for one minute suggesting you implement anything like that but they use TinyMCE (or at least what looks like TinyMCE) and seem to have been able to customise it for their needs.

Clicking on (More) opens a pop up window with tons more smilies.

Attachments

• editor.webp
    editor.webp
    25.2 KB · Views: 325
I believe vBulletin use their own custom editor and XF is much more elegant than that ;)

Shelley's idea is perfect, it hides the smilies until you want/need them.

Top Bottom