Smashboards.com moving to Xenforo

Until recently, they were just a stagnating community owned by MLG, and really couldn't do much but wait for approval on different things they've wanted to do. They weren't even funded for a decent style, so one of their members did their current one for them.
Yeah, Chibo and I were working on a competing forum (http://smash4u.net) while Smashboards was owned by MLG; we were getting a lot of support from the community about it as they hated the MLG ownership. Right before we were about to go live, AlphaZealot announced that he bought Smashboards from MLG... we were like "FFFFFFffffuuuuu--".

We held off our launch to see if we could work with AlphaZealot on the new Smashboards, but he ignored us... So we launched smash4u.net anyways since we already have so much invested in it.

Can you provide sources to backup your claim that the PHP CLI importer is seriously broken? Want to read more into this as I used the CLI importer.

Transfering vom vb3 to XF.

It does not transfer all threads and posts to XenForo. In our case more than one million posts and thousands of threads have been missed (according to the row count in the databases, because the counter of the importer showed no error). If I remember correctly, we tried to debug it but using the web importer and the setup described above was much quicker and more reliable.

But if you don't care about a full and complete import it may work for you. We did care. ;-)

The CLI importer does have reported problems. And it has never been officially supported. It's something that needs to be revisited at some point. The web-based importer works great, it's just slow for extremely large forums.

Our big bottleneck is search. ElasticSearch stops indexing after 4.7mil posts. I don't believe there's a Sphinx addon for XF either. Bleh.

Top Bottom