Small general request in naming packages

Adam Howard

This is small general request for developers (NO, I'm not asking for custom work).

Recently (today) when updating my site, I noticed that I had a lot to apply. I've been busy so I've not had the time to go about patching things (actually applying what I download). But I made the time to download files as the updates came out.

My small and humble request is that when people name their zip files, they do so in such a manner that its easy to identify the file.

For example, without pointing anyone out;

v.zip doesn't easily tell me what is inside.

There of course are a few that did have good descriptive names, but with the version number you couldn't make heads or tails of.

v__1.030030344456.zip
v__1.000300405006.zip
v__1.030400500607.zip

^ And if you thought the last one was the most current, you would be wrong.

A good example in packaging your creative works would be

Product_name_v1.zip
Product_name_v2.zip

It doesn't of course have to be exactly like that. But something clear and understandable would be nice.

It's a small and humble request. But I think it would make things a little easier. Please and thank you in advance :)

My recommendation to developers is to use this that I built a while ago:

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/add-on-builder.1091/

I have an updated version I need to release, actually, but it essentially pre-stages your add-on by copying the files out of the library/js/styles folders and into a separate folder where it is then automatically zipped up.

By default this version creates a ZIP with the add-on ID as the name of the zip file. My current version appends the version string to the zip file name.

Top Bottom