1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small general request in naming packages

Discussion in 'Resource and Add-on Discussions' started by Adam Howard, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

This is small general request for developers (NO, I'm not asking for custom work).

Recently (today) when updating my site, I noticed that I had a lot to apply. I've been busy so I've not had the time to go about patching things (actually applying what I download). But I made the time to download files as the updates came out.

My small and humble request is that when people name their zip files, they do so in such a manner that its easy to identify the file.

For example, without pointing anyone out;

v.zip doesn't easily tell me what is inside.

There of course are a few that did have good descriptive names, but with the version number you couldn't make heads or tails of.

^ And if you thought the last one was the most current, you would be wrong.

A good example in packaging your creative works would be

It doesn't of course have to be exactly like that. But something clear and understandable would be nice.

It's a small and humble request. But I think it would make things a little easier. Please and thank you in advance :)
  2. tyteen4a03

tyteen4a03 Well-Known Member

/me looks at Waindigo
  3. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

My recommendation to developers is to use this that I built a while ago:

I have an updated version I need to release, actually, but it essentially pre-stages your add-on by copying the files out of the library/js/styles folders and into a separate folder where it is then automatically zipped up.

By default this version creates a ZIP with the add-on ID as the name of the zip file. My current version appends the version string to the zip file name.
    MattW likes this.