Fixed Slow typing with Nexus 4/Samsung S3 stock firmware 4.4

Moshe1010

Well, this happens also on Samsung S2 and others as well, but they were considered "old devices" previously when people tried to report this. However, I get many emails lately that after upgrading to Android 4.4, typing on my board became very slow. It's so slow that letters in words are sometimes shown mixed up since users don't get instant feedback about their typing.

When they use the BB-Code editor everything works fine, but that's not really a solution.
To confirm that, they tried to type here as well and they got the same result.

Typing is almost impossible on any android device (high end, low end, custom or stock firmware, etc.) on even stock xenforo. On very high end devices you can just about type without lag, but it's extremely difficult to move the cursor.

It really needs to default to the basic editor

Though to be honest even the basic editor is slower and less responsive than on other webpages, no idea why this is the case

I'm using galaxy s3 recently updated to stock 4.3 and I find while occasionally I type faster than it appears, it's never really an issue.
(typed using stock keyboard, I usually use SwiftKey)

I've got the same problem here using a Nexus 4. Occurs in all browsers I've tried... Chrome, Firefox and Opera. Like Luke said it's pretty much impossible to type, I've tried on a few other android phones too and this seems to be a problem on all of them.

Here are more from whatever I got reported on my forum:
1. Nexus 5 -- Android 4.4.2 -- Chrome stock firmware -- slow typing
2. Nexus 4 -- Android 4.4 -- Chrome stock firmware -- when trying to erase text, the browser is stuck or the text is deleted elsewhere (different place than the cursor).
3. Samsung Galaxy S2 -- Android 4.1.2 -- Delay when typing

Last edited:
Almost all Android devices with a non-High-End-CPU suffer from that problem.

It seems the AJAX needed for Redactor overwhelms the CPU resources.

Same with older iOS devices.

We switched to @cclaerhout s Tiny MCE 4 add-on because of that. It works perfectly at mobile devices.

Same problem here. I reported it before and was told it was a redactor problem and nothing can be done about it. It would be nice if a solution was provided considering how widespread it is. Maybe 1.3 has something up its sleeve for us.

I'm not sure if we use a different version but I've tried typing on this website which says its redactor and never had a problem. No lag, very smooth. :unsure:

Just to chip in, we've had the same problem as well. More noticable on our own style which has more CSS effects but also happens on the default style.

Like I mentioned, I occasionally see a slight lag but it is not distracting. I also use stock themes, though. And it's not like the Nexus 4 is a low-end phone. My old original Moto Droid? Hellz yeah, I'd expect it to lag. I think my Thunderbolt may see some lag, but it is only a single-core phone (albeit way overclocked...it is actually still a decent performer given its age).

It also helps to keep in mind what else is running on the phone. I had over 220 apps on my Thunderbolt; I now only keep the bare essentials on my Nexus 4, and CPU-stealing apps (ones that run all the time but I rarely open) are some of the first ones I consider getting rid of. It helps to keep the devices running lean and mean to begin with.

I'm not sure if we use a different version but I've tried typing on this website which says its redactor and never had a problem. No lag, very smooth. :unsure:

Very interesting. Thanks for posting that.

I would actually like to get rid of some of the buttons--I do not want colored text posted on any of my forums, so that is one button that could go away. Hardly anyone uses bullet or numbered lists, or the indent/outdent.

I wonder if it's the smiley feature, or the safe draft, that might be causing an unseen drain on resources. Might be a case of process of elimination, especially if there are Redactor editor features here that are not in the stock Redactor on the page you linked to.

The version of Redactor in XenForo bears little resemblance to the version on that site.
It has been heavily modified and adapted for use in XenForo.

The version of Redactor in XenForo bears little resemblance to the version on that site.

I had a feeling that was the case, but did not know how modified Redactor was.

I just hope it can be tweaked--members are still a bit incensed that I removed Tapatalk and Forum Runner (and given all of their problems, I never will re-enable them either). Slow response is one more thing they will complain about.

If I'm not mistaken, you have a Samsung tablet. Can you try to confirm this on Android tablets as well?

I had a feeling that was the case, but did not know how modified Redactor was.

I just hope it can be tweaked--members are still a bit incensed that I removed Tapatalk and Forum Runner (and given all of their problems, I never will re-enable them either). Slow response is one more thing they will complain about.
In addition to what Brogan said, I think that the current editor is based on version 8 (Redactor's Core). They made many changes on version 9, so this is another big difference between the editors.

If I'm not mistaken, you have a Samsung tablet. Can you try to confirm this on Android tablets as well?
I have no problems at all on my tablet.

In addition to what Brogan said, I think that the current editor is based on version 8 (Redactor's Core). They made many changes on version 9, so this is another big difference between the editors.
This is also true.
Unfortunately the latest version of Redactor is not compatible with IE8 so XenForo won't be updated with the latest version until support for IE8 is dropped.

It's just as bad on tablets, have to switch to the basic editor every time on my xperia tablet z

Samsung tablets are not a fair test, they add more aggressive hardware acceleration to the browser than stock android or other OEMs' modified builds

Top Bottom