Slow emoji load speed in editor

Ingenious

My initial excitement at being able to use the full spectrum of wonderful emojis has been tempered by how long they take to load here. So when I click on the smiley icon in the editor it is taking about 6 seconds to do anything... which seems like an age. It's not that it only does it once either, any new page loaded and clicking the smiley icon takes the same time to load, I would have thought it would have been remembered or cached or whatever the technical term is.

I appreciate it has to load an awful lot of emojis, but does anyone else find this lag a bit annoying? Maybe I am spoiled by the instant load in WhatsApp etc. on my mobile.

I suppose the first thing is to narrow down whether it's my ancient MacBook, my browser (Chrome) or it's happening for everyone. What are other people's experiences with it?

That's sort of peculiar.

When I saw these posts I raised an eyebrow 🤨 tried it, and it did indeed take longer than I have experienced previously.

However, I just tried it a few more times (with "Disable cache" enabled in Chrome dev tools just to be sure) and now it's taking less than a second.

About 3,5s here (6MBit ADSL) with Disable Cache for initial display.

Maybe the lazy loading could be tweaked a bit?
It did load > 350 images, although only max. ~44 images are displayed without scrolling (for me).

Would it be possible to use several spritesheets for the dialog, one "per page"?

They load immediately for me in FF, zero discernible lag, but I'm on a PC with GB fiber.

EDIT: Tried it several times in Chrome, and experienced some just barely longer loading times - maybe a quarter of a sec? - but not even that consistently. And that's without touching any settings.

Last edited:
My initial excitement at being able to use the full spectrum of wonderful emojis has been tempered by how long they take to load here. So when I click on the smiley icon in the editor it is taking about 6 seconds to do anything... which seems like an age. It's not that it only does it once either, any new page loaded and clicking the smiley icon takes the same time to load, I would have thought it would have been remembered or cached or whatever the technical term is.

I appreciate it has to load an awful lot of emojis, but does anyone else find this lag a bit annoying? Maybe I am spoiled by the instant load in WhatsApp etc. on my mobile.

I suppose the first thing is to narrow down whether it's my ancient MacBook, my browser (Chrome) or it's happening for everyone. What are other people's experiences with it?
Same here. There is a lag.like you said...6 seconds or so...

Has anyone found a solution to this. I just upgraded both of my forums to XF 2.1 and the smilies load very slow on both. The same thing here on the XF forum. I have the same smilies I was using on XF 1.5 and XF 2.0 and never had this problem.

Has anyone found a solution to this. I just upgraded both of my forums to XF 2.1 and the smilies load very slow on both. The same thing here on the XF forum. I have the same smilies I was using on XF 1.5 and XF 2.0 and never had this problem.
This is my solution: [UW] Smileys Bar for text editor allows faster, easier access to the smileys without covering the text area. Smileys Bar is loaded even faster than the text editor. :p Users love it. :love:👌

Top Bottom