1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skype Smilies (Animated) [Deleted]

Discussion in 'Graphic Releases' started by Nomy, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Nomy

Nomy Member

Nomy submitted a new resource:

Skype Smilies (Animated) - Animated round yellow smilies (xml included)

Read more about this resource...

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  2. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

These aren't the smilies that Skype uses anymore.
    Recep Baltaş likes this.
  3. Nomy

Nomy Member

You are right :)
  4. TheSalt

TheSalt Active Member

Hello! So I keep getting the below error when I use the XML file after I upload the smilies. I just ungraded 1.3 form 1.2. I have tried others and get the same error. Do you know what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you.

Screen Shot 2014-04-06 at 9.36.21 PM.png
  5. Nomy

Nomy Member

The xml file is working on 1.3.0. I don't think it works for 1.2.
    Are you sure you are selecting the correct xml file? Make sure you can open the xml file on notepad just to make sure its not corrupted.
  6. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

Nice share (y)
    Nomy likes this.
  7. TheSalt

TheSalt Active Member

Yep it opens. I'm not sure what the problem is. None of the smilies install for me using the XML files. I can't tell if I'm doing something from or if its a software issue.
  8. Nomy

Nomy Member

Hello @TheSalt,
    I am not sure what the problem could be. The xml file was generated by XenForo 1.3.
    If you want, you can add them from directory: ACP > Home > Smilies > Import Smilies > Import from a directory on your server > Enter: styles/skype/smiley
    You would need to fill all details using this method. But it's less painful than manually adding one by one. The details can be copied from the xml file.
  9. Ren3gade10

Ren3gade10 Member

If you have Waindago's Smilie importer installed.. you have to disable it, then these will import fine.
    TheSalt likes this.
  10. stefan

stefan Member

Aren't there any licensing issues (because, skype...)?
  11. Bob_R

Bob_R Active Member

I understand the default Xenforo smilies must be deleted prior to installing this because of text overwrites.

But, here's my question

After I install this I want the default xenforo smilies back. I am going to have a category of animated and non-animated smilies.

How do I get them back w/o overwrtiting these (in this thread) smilies?
  12. Bob_R

Bob_R Active Member

Can I just create a new smilie category and not remove the default xenforo smilies?
  13. Nomy

Nomy Member

Basically you'd have to edit the "smiley text" to something different (not being used). This is manual work so you would have to do this yourself.

e.g. :) is : ) and it's the same for [​IMG]
    You have to edit and change the animated smiley to something like :smile: so its different from the original smiley text.

Hope it answers your question.
    Bob_R likes this.
  14. stefan

stefan Member

And what about the license? o_O
  15. Nomy

Nomy Member

Attached Files:

16. Anton_Bodryachkom

Anton_Bodryachkom Active Member

great job , but i have same question , what about copyrights?
  17. EQnoble

EQnoble Well-Known Member

From the license...

So basically if you were distributing the smilies with a xf addon that actually made use of the skype api it would not really be an issue, but since it is just the images used as a xf smiley it is not really covered. Not just that, skype killed the API a while ago and I believe Microsoft who purchased Skype for however many billion dollars only publicly offer a URI API at this point.

@Nomy you would probably be best to remove this resource.
  18. Anton_Bodryachkom

Anton_Bodryachkom Active Member

Eah , if images not tight to skype somehow its would be illigal to use them i guess. Any juggestion for something similar?
  19. Nomy

Nomy Member

Just to be clear, these smileys are for free. This resource is also free. They belong to Skype or whoever own its copyright.
    I had edited them to remove white edges around them so they can also look better on dark styles.

If you think there is a problem, please report to the admins so they can decide if they want to remove it.
  20. EQnoble

EQnoble Well-Known Member

The license you showed makes it clear that you are not in compliance with their terms