1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Skimlinks - Making SkimWords only show to guests.

Discussion in 'Tips and Guides [Archive]' started by PVO_Dave, Dec 7, 2011.

1. PVO_Dave

PVO_Dave Active Member

I really like having Skimlinks on the website, but worried about annoying registered members with words changing to affiliate links, with the help of support at Skimlinks, I got it working so everyone gets Skimlinks, but only unregistered members get SkimWords :)

Code:
    <xen:if is="{$visitor.user_id}">
    <script> var noskimwords = 'true'; </script>
    </xen:if>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="Path to skimlinks.js"></script>
    Hope that helps someone :)

Dave.

Amin Sabet likes this.
  2. James

James Well-Known Member

That will still load the skimlinks JS, even if the visitor isn't a guest. You should be put script tag that loads the skimlinks in the conditional, that way the JS won't load if the user isn't a guest.

3. mrGTB

mrGTB Well-Known Member

Use this:

Code:
    <xen:if is="!{$visitor.user_id}">
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://s.skimresources.com/js/xxxxxxxxxxx.skimlinks.js"></script>

4. PVO_Dave

PVO_Dave Active Member

Thanks for the replies, but did you read what I put?

I want it to load the skimlinks.js for everyone, but I don't want SkimWords enabled for anyone registered, what I've put above works how I want it :) (which is why it's in the tips section, not support for a change lol)

This step:

Code:
    <xen:if is="{$visitor.user_id}">
    Stops just the SkimWords plugin loading if the user is a registered member :)

To clarify;

Skimlinks adds an affiliate click through on existing links users have posted
    SkimWords looks for words like eBay, Amazon, and products and automatically adds a link to them (like what I've done to Amazon but in this case without an affiliate code)

Skimlinks is pretty much invisible, SkimWords adds actual links, so I didn't want to replace registered users words with links they didn't put in.

Dave.

5. mrGTB

mrGTB Well-Known Member

Ah right, I see now what you was doing. Just disabling Skimwords alone

PVO_Dave likes this.
  6. Edrondol

Edrondol Well-Known Member

How well does Skimlinks work?

7. PVO_Dave

PVO_Dave Active Member

I've not used VigLinks or anything similar, so I have no direct comparison, but they pay quickly, the links can be fairly unintrusive if you configure them and the support is about 100x better than Adwords for example :)

Dave.

8. trilogy33

trilogy33 Well-Known Member

I recently tested to exclude usergroup 7 from Skimwords and it failed using:

Code:
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://s.skimresources.com/js/*****X******.skimlinks.js"></script>
    <xen:if is="{xen:helper ismemberof, $visitor, 7}">

Something I'm missing or is my code backwards? :unsure:

9. PVO_Dave

PVO_Dave Active Member

You need to have the exclude code before the script, I.E.

Code:
    <xen:if is={xen:helper ismemberof, $visitor, 7}">
    <script type="text/javascript" src="Path to skimlinks.js"></script>

Amdac and trilogy33 like this.
  10. trilogy33

trilogy33 Well-Known Member

^ Thank you :)