XF 1.1 Skimlinks JS Browser Issues in Opera/IE7

Cooper

I have an issue in Opera, users were complaining that the WYSIWYG quick reply was not loading. [edit] This seems to be caused by the presence of the skimlinks JS.

Note reply box isn't there and "Tweet" is there but no facebook Like button. Also stuck at "Element 35/35" in address bar above.

Now this isn't working on my edited style, but it is working properly on the xF default style. I haven't that many edited templates so am having trouble tracking down the differences in code/templates. Any ideas?

Don't really want to take the default xF style and start to reskin it if I can avoid it!

TIA

That screenshot also shows that JavaScript hasn't loaded properly.

Are you on shared hosting?
Is it a particularly slow server?

All you can do is look at any edited templates which may be related, such as the post and share templates. Then revert them one at a time to see if it resolves it.
Then reapply your edits once again after determining what the issue was and correcting it.

Update - the issue is with the skimlinks JS. Seeing if there is a workaround. Certainly removing the code from the template allows a full page load in Opera.

The only workaround I can think of is putting a browser detect line in and dropping the JS load for the opera browser - help with that appreciated! Also contacted skimlinks re the issue, will post up any findings.

contacted skimlinks re the issue, will post up any findings.
Confirmed here too and my report on the issue went in a few minutes ago.
I wrote about it here as occuring on all styles with no changes made to my install:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/ajaxload-bugging-me-on-every-page-load.21599
Not an XF bug, definitely a service issue. (y) Happens across all browsers, which of course it would.
They've (SL) had one similar service issue in the past IIRC reported in their News column to advise their users, which made me remember it.

Update on this, no response from Skimlinks yet its with their tech team. However this also effects IE7 - crashes the browser when the skimlinks js is included at the bottom of page_containter_js_body

We didn't have these issues pre 1.1 beta, and it effects two browsers (Opera and IE7) so any thoughts on what has changed and what may effect it/workarounds appreciated.

page_containter_js_body
Not that it makes any difference, but mine's in the footer template, the very last line and after the </xen:hook>
We didn't have these issues pre 1.1 beta, and it effects two browsers (Opera and IE7) so any thoughts on what has changed and what may effect it/workarounds appreciated.
I'm on XF 1.0.4 and recently the loading graphic had improved in Firefox 7.1 - with IE8 and IE7 showing no loading graphic at all, when just tested this very second.

If it's causing major upset on your board, one route to consider is to pull the script out of the template, or comment it out for the time being until the situation calms.
Other than that and if by doing the above you'd be looking at a significant revenue loss, is to try a different script in the meantime; Viglink for example.

Big wait on skimlinks resolves, so much so that it's non operable. :(
I'm showing up to 6.57 seconds for one to complete. It's been over a week now.
Joining the EveryFeed API google group serves up no responses, Oct 17th.

Was just hunting down the source of a "white quick reply box" issue (normally on my board it's dark). Turns out this was cause by skimlinks js at the bottom of page_containter_js_body. Is that the correct location for that script?

In any case, I had to remove the skimlinks js. Issue was primarily in IE 9.

I was able to recreate the issue on my board using IE9, and when I removed skimlinks the error went away.

However, I setup a vanilla Xenforo install and added skimlinks, it worked fine.

Still going through this to figure it out ...

FYI - if your users are reporting the "please enter valid message" error, I could not recreate the error until I changed the following settings in IE9.

Make sure the 3 settings marked below in IE were as per the screen shot

IE.gif

* Uncheck "Disable script debugging (Internet Explorer)"
* Uncheck "Disable script debugging (Other)"
* Check "Display a notification about every script error"

and then when I was logged in to the forum and viewing a thread, the error

Line: 283
Error: Object doesn't support property or method 'context'

popped up. Then I typed a message in quick reply and tried to post it and I got the error "Please enter a valid message" and it wouldn't post.

I've disabled all plugins on my main board and this issue still exists.

Hope this helps someone else in trying to sort this out.

Top Bottom