XF 1.4 Sitemap and images

Trix

Hello all, i have submitted my url to google web masters for the 1.4 site map feature. I am submitting the url ending with /forums/sitemap.php which i assume is correct?

I run it as a test, and google finds it fine, however it is also saying it has found images too. I don't wish to submit any images to google web masters, just the threads/members etc etc. I can't find any option anywhere either to disable the images being submitted.

I've added a screenshot to show what i mean too. Thanks.

Attachments

• Sitemap.webp
    Sitemap.webp
    11.2 KB · Views: 15
Definitely only member avatars? And not attached images or from the gallery?

Just making sure as my users are pretty fussy about things like this.

Also, why does it submit the avatars? Does google display them in the search results?

Thanks for the quick reply

Definitely only member avatars, yes.

Even if they were attached images or from the gallery, it would only be images that were publicly viewable anyway. It doesn't bypass any sort of permissions. Obviously your gallery add-on may include Sitemap compatibility. Xen Media Gallery does, and by default the media sitemap does include the image.

The purpose of the image section on a sitemap is to help Google Images identify the important image content on a page.

It shouldn't ordinarily appear in web search results unless you specifically click on "Images".

It's also worth noting that it doesn't matter too much whether the image section is included in the Sitemap. Google is more than capable of identifying and index Image content itself; but having the image defined in the Sitemap does probably help Google weigh it with more importance over other image content.

Top Bottom