XF 1.5 Site emails not reaching servers.

Spleen

I've had a perfect storm of email nonsense. Since moving servers I had a stack of errors saying internal replies to threads could not be delivered even though they were and after upgrading to 1.5, nothing is reaching my hosts. New registers confirmation emails are not reaching new users, Contact Us doesn't work and replies to thread notification to members are not being sent either (or at least not reaching them). I've literally spent hours on this and cannot resolve it. Anyone have any ideas?

PS. Go easy with the tech speak please, absolute newbie here - thanks!

If you are using the default PHP mail function and there are no errors in the ACP, then this means the emails have been handed off to the server.

At that point XenForo is no longer involved so you would need to check the mail server log to see whether they are being sent or not.

Your host should be able to help with that if you are unsure how to check the log.

If they are being sent then it could be any number of reasons why they aren't being delivered.
This resource should help: Dealing with spam filters

If there are ACP errors, can you post the stack traces?

Ouch. There are 303 of them; Unable to send email.() mail has been disabled for security reasons. This is the top one:

#0 /home/bmwlander/public_html/library/Zend/Mail/Transport/Abstract.php(348): Zend_Mail_Transport_Sendmail->_sendMail()
#1 /home/bmwlander/public_html/library/Zend/Mail.php(1194): Zend_Mail_Transport_Abstract->send(Object(Zend_Mail))
#2 /home/bmwlander/public_html/library/XenForo/Mail.php(175): Zend_Mail->send(Object(Zend_Mail_Transport_Sendmail))
#3 /home/bmwlander/public_html/library/XenForo/Mail.php(152): XenForo_Mail->sendMail(Object(Zend_Mail))
#4 /home/bmwlander/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/UserConfirmation.php(153): XenForo_Mail->send('bmw535d@hanlonh...', 'JasonH')
#5 /home/bmwlander/public_html/library/XenForo/ControllerPublic/AccountConfirmation.php(108): XenForo_Model_UserConfirmation->sendEmailConfirmation(Array)
#6 /home/bmwlander/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(347): XenForo_ControllerPublic_AccountConfirmation->actionResend()
#7 /home/bmwlander/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(134): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
#8 /home/bmwlander/public_html/index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#9 {main}

Request State

array(3) {
["url"] => string(64) "http://www.bmwlander.co.uk/index.php?account-confirmation/resend"
["_GET"] => array(1) {
["account-confirmation/resend"] => string(0) ""
}
["_POST"] => array(5) {
["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
["_xfConfirm"] => string(1) "1"
["_xfRequestUri"] => string(30) "/index.php?forums/5-series.12/"
["_xfNoRedirect"] => string(1) "1"
["_xfResponseType"] => string(4) "json"
}
}

You are using the PHP mail function so XenForo passes the email to sendmail or the equivalent on the server.

The failure is at the server level, you can check the server mail log to see why it is failing.

Your host should be able to help with that.

Unable to send email.() mail has been disabled for security reasons.
With that error message, your host has explicitly disabled sending mail via PHP. I've really only seen this with a free host. If that's the case, I'd recommend moving to a different host (one that you pay for). Free hosts tend to add other things that cause problems.

Thanks Mike, he is indeed a free host doing me a huge favour whilst I get to grips with the whole thing. Emails and notifications worked fine on the original German servers but after they got smashed by DOS attacks, the site was moved to servers in the UK where it's never really been right since (the site's fine, just the emails). I've already emailed him a load of stuff including Paul's comments so I'll see how we get on tomorrow, hopefully we can fix it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom