1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 Simulate / trigger spam registration

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Sim, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Sim

Sim Well-Known Member

Is there a way to simulate or trigger a spam registration for testing?

I want to be able to register a user on my dev server and have it flagged as spam by the system so I can test some functionality. Is there a mechanism which would allow this to happen?
  2. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

Try registering a user with the name 'test'. I was checking something earlier and this was flagged as a spam registration via StopForumSpam which I have enabled in the ACP.
  3. Arty

Arty Well-Known Member

Open http://stopforumspam.com/, it will show you recent spammers. Try registering with one of those names or email addresses.
  4. Sim

Sim Well-Known Member

Thanks - both of those did trigger a spam registration.

For future reference, if you want to use one of the username/email address pairs from the Stop Forum Spam website and have the registration blocked rather than moderated, you should change your setting for "Reject registrations when this many warning flags are detected:" to 2, because you (hopefully!) won't be simulating the third flag of IP address if posting yourself.
  5. whynot

whynot Well-Known Member

Awaiting email confirmation
  6. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

Well it worked for two of us, so you must have something set differently.
  7. Sim

Sim Well-Known Member

Arty's method of using the usernames and email addresses from the StopForumSpam website is a much more reliable approach IMO.
  8. cdub

cdub Well-Known Member

What does the user see if their username is blocked due to a matched username?
  9. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Depending on the action they are either told the registration could not be completed or required admin approval