Similar Threads

Similar Threads 5.3

No permission to download
I am unable to reinstall after uninstalling v3.3

I am getting this error:
Code:
Callback Andy_SimilarThreads_Listener::Thread is invalid (Invalid Class).

Edit: Turns out the problem was caused by using Add-on Install & Upgrade instead of the manual install.
Better tag @Chris D about this?

Does it automatically use Elastic Search if available or is this a setting somewhere? (v 3.5)

Update: I got a response from Andy: "The add-on will use Enhanced Search automatically if available."

Last edited:
Hi Andy,
Just to make it totally clear -- the add-on now works with elastic search, but does it do so automatically? IE, if it detects that XF is using ES, it will use it?
Do we need to modify ES in any way? Or rebuild any indices, etc...?

It kind of did not work after reinstall. I also installed Enhanced Search during the upgrade. Not sure what went wrong. The similar threads just does not appear anywhere no matter how I configured the settings.

Update: It was a usergroup issue. Fixed! Thanks @DRaver and @AndyB!

Last edited:
If you use elasticsearch in server that is not same as web server you have to change
Andy/SimilarThreads/ControllerPublic/Thread.php and
Andy/SimilarThreads/ControllerPublic/Forum.php

Cahnge This line
PHP:
$ch = curl_init('http://localhost:' . $esPort . '/' . $indexName . '/_search?pretty=true');
with
PHP:
$ch = curl_init($esHost.':' . $esPort . '/' . $indexName . '/_search?pretty=true');

and add this code
PHP:
// get ElasticSearch host
            $esHost = $esServerOption['host'];
after this code
PHP:
// get ElasticSearch options   
            $esServerOption = XenForo_Application::get('options')->elasticSearchServer;

Last edited:
I don't want to make Andy's life difficult, but here are my observations and suggestions:

1 - it looks like it only looks at the first 3 words; this is too few -- it will never get an accurate list of similar threads just by looking at 3 words, unless you also...

2 - prevent it from searching 'stop words' -- these are common english language words that are frequently filtered out of search engines. here is a list:

http://www.ranks.nl/stopwords/

If you could provide an option to prevent it from searching on stop words, and force it to look up 5 words in the enhanced search, i suspect you'd get a pretty reliable system.

I don't want to make Andy's life difficult, but here are my observations and suggestions:

1 - it looks like it only looks at the first 3 words; this is too few -- it will never get an accurate list of similar threads just by looking at 3 words, unless you also...

2 - prevent it from searching 'stop words' -- these are common english language words that are frequently filtered out of search engines. here is a list:

http://www.ranks.nl/stopwords/

If you could provide an option to prevent it from searching on stop words, and force it to look up 5 words in the enhanced search, i suspect you'd get a pretty reliable system.

Ok, Andy's add-on DOES use stop words (they are on the options page), you can even add your own from the mega-list I linked to :)

Definitely a useful add-on

AndyB updated Similar Threads with a new update entry:

See description.