Similar Threads

Similar Threads 5.3

No permission to download
@AndyB :

Thread is TL,DR (scanned it quickly, didn't see an answer) but had a quick question--how much of a load does it put on the database? I've had to uninstall a couple of add-ons due to queries which were bogging down our database (one of which had a LEFT JOIN that created a lot of queued queries). I may use this on some of our less busy forums but I'm concerned enough to ask before installing it on the big boards. 1500+ online can really hammer the resources.

Got it. ;)

Last edited:
I do think this resource looks especially great now. :)

However, would it be possible to apply this specific usergroups, especially at the end of a thread? Is there a section of code I can put a conditional around in the template, please?

Apologies, ignore what I wrote - you've already included that feature directly in the permissions system. :)

So I have this installed and configured to show everywhere right now. Have all my usergroup's permissions set to allow similar thread (though I would think just setting this for unregistered would do the trick), but still can't get the darn thing to show up anywhere. Any more hints?

Hello @AndyB - I don't want to use the option of seeing similar threads when creating a new thread but would like to see similar threads when viewing a thread, I believe I have the options set right but it is not showing any similar threads.
Screen Shot 2015-02-14 at 9.57.57 AM.webp

Just my fault. I copied incorrectly the files... :(

Doubts about SEO and performance:
I guess for SEO is it much better to give permissions to unregistered users.
How about performance? It will need many resources or is there a cache system active?
Thanks @AndyB for your great work!

Just added and seems to work great. Seems light and not slowing things down at the moment. I have it enabled below the reply and can't even catch the load no matter how fast I scroll down.

Would like to know details on queries.

Overall, I can't believe how great all of @AndyB addons have been!

Last edited:
My problem with that Addon is, that the results come before the ad_below_content template. So I want the ad dircet under the content but with that addon, this is not possible.

Hi Andy,

Your addon is good however it is not resource efficient for big boards with lots of threads even when using the XFES add-on.

Your add-on performs a search on every thread view looking for the words in the thread title in order to get the similar threads. It works but it also makes the elasticsearch process to become very CPU consuming. You can verify this yourself, during peak hours monitor your server with top and pay attention to CPU usage and server load averages. Then disable your add-on and you'll see the CPU and server load averages getting noticeably down.

And if it makes the elasticsearch process to become busy and CPU intensive... guess what happens when using the MySQL standard search!

A better aproach would be to make this add-on to perform a first time index of similar threads and then every time a new thread is created update your similar threads index. This is exactly how the feature works in vBulletin 3.8 and its resource overhead was pretty minimal.

Thanks,
Super120

@Xon @Jim Boy @digitalpoint @Jake Bunce if any of you have some spare time could you please review the code and share here some feedback in how to make this add-on more efficient? I'm not a programmer so don't know how to technically tell Andy that what I said on my previous post is in fact a problem.

Thanks!

@Xon @Jim Boy @digitalpoint @Jake Bunce if any of you have some spare time could you please review the code and share here some feedback in how to make this add-on more efficient? I'm not a programmer so don't know how to technically tell Andy that what I said on my previous post is in fact a problem.

Thanks!
Not really any code to review... if it's trigging a query based on the title for every thread view, it should be using a caching mechanism to cache the query. The results of that query are going to change so little and isn't ultra important that it's updated super quick with a new thread. Personally, I'd put a 24 hour cache on the query results to eliminate needing to do it over and over.

Figured it out, needed to rearrange the end of thread_view so it looks like this:

<xen:include template="share_page">
<xen:set var="$url">{xen:link 'canonical:threads', $thread}</xen:set>
</xen:include>

<xen:hook name="thread_view_qr_after" params="{xen:array 'thread={$thread}'}" />

{xen:raw $threadStatusHtml}

Top Bottom