Similar Threads

Similar Threads 5.3

No permission to download

AndyB

AndyB submitted a new resource:

Similar Threads - Shows a list of similar threads when a user is creating a new thread.

Description:

The Similar Threads add-on will show a list of similar threads when a user is creating a new thread.

Key Features:
  • Limit number of results (Admin Control Panel Setting)
  • Exclude common words (Admin Control Panel Setting)
  • Simple one word search
  • Node permissions honored
  • Similar Threads immediately displayed
  • Automatically disabled for displays 800px or less (Responsive design)
  • Fully phrased
How it Works:

When a user types a...

Read more about this resource...

Hi Andy, great job :) Is it possible to have an old style similar thread list in thread view instead?

I mean a list of (five?) similar threads after the first post of the thread in thread view

Got it, thank you for the clarification. Sometimes these "Other similar threads list" is placed at the end of the thread view.

This is a very good idea.

Hiya Andy,

Does this only search on the first word that isnt in the excludes list?? I only ask because thats what it seems to do, however i may just be missing something.... :D

Cheers
Paul

Hiya Andy,

Does this only search on the first word that isnt in the excludes list?? I only ask because thats what it seems to do, however i may just be missing something.... :D

Cheers
Paul

Hi Paul,

That is correct, it only searches on the first word which is not in the common word exclusion list.

The reason I chose to do it this way is to make it really simple for users to understand. The user can quickly change the search word if they like to see if there are any existing threads on the subject.

Cheers Andy - Certainly makes for some interesting searches having had a play for 1/2 hour :D

Thank you @AndyB. Addon is great!!

Just one question, is it possible to query on more than one non unique word?

Thank you, tajhay.

Only the first non-common word is used for the search. When more than one word is used in a search it often excludes the results that are relevant.

Thank you, tajhay.

Only the first non-common word is used for the search. When more than one word is used in a search it often excludes the results that are relevant.
Is it possible to use all the non unique words for the search and then pull them down based on relevancy i.e. the more non unique text in the results that match up, the better. Perhaps change the sql query to like 'non unique word'? Regardless great addon, and thank you for making it freeware.

...the more non unique text in the results that match up, the better.

I'm not aware of any such code or api that offers this sort of function. Remember there are several million words in the English language and ranking them by uniqueness would be a very difficult task.

I'm not aware of any such code or api that offers this sort of function. Remember there are several million words in the English language and ranking them by uniqueness would be a very difficult task.
I'm not sure he meant ranking by uniqueness? Perhaps I misunderstand, but my take on what he asked is that if a user entered "fred bear forest", then the add-on would first show post(s) that contained all 3 words, then post(s) that contained 2 of the words, then post(s) that contained one of the words. That would give relevancy at the top, and depending upon your community would only show posts with all 3 words, giving highly relevant results. My $0.02c worth :)

Great Andy, can you (or someone else with the time to do so) post a screenshot of the brand new thread similar threads function ?
Second, can you add an on/off switch for the similar thread on thread creation? (I'm only interested in thread list similar threads)

... if a user entered "fred bear forest", then the add-on would first show post(s) that contained all 3 words, then post(s) that contained 2 of the words, then post(s) that contained one of the words. That would give relevancy at the top, and depending upon your community would only show posts with all 3 words, giving highly relevant results. My $0.02c worth :)

Thank you for this example. I like this logic very much. Hopefully it's not too difficult to code.

Last edited:
Great Andy, can you (or someone else with the time to do so) post a screenshot of the brand new thread similar threads function ?

Thank you, giorgino.

I updated the images in the Overview page.

Second, can you add an on/off switch for the similar thread on thread creation? (I'm only interested in thread list similar threads)

The ability to turn off the similar thread list for either create thread or thread view is already implemented with v1.1 of this add-on.

Top Bottom