Significant design downgrade from XF1 to XF2

XenBurger

EDIT: I realize my examples are of the UIX Style. But everything I am writing here relates to XF2 as a software. UIX and all the other Styles had to kill their designs and downgrade because of the XF2 limitations / requirements.

-----------------------

Xenforo 2 design seems like a massive downgrade from XenForo 1. In a sentence, what was the purpose of this? Making it more mobile friendly to the detriment of the laptop version? Just curious what spurred the loss of features, as that is typically not the direction that future versions go in.

I have used UIX for XenForo 1, and it is a gorgeous, innovative, contemporary and unique design. A clean, crisp, and easy to understand yet complex design that was very enjoyable to look at.

UIX XenForo 2 (and the default design to be honest) is literally like looking back in time to the internet circa 1997.

I guess just one question: Why?

I have 70,000 members and I can tell you right now, its going to be a hellstorm of *****ing and complaints the second I even try to "upgrade" to XF 2....

HERE IS XENFORO 1 CUSTOM DESIGN ...............

XF1.jpg

HERE IS XENFORO 2 UIX DESIGN .... (IS IT 1997 AGAIN?)

XF2.jpg

Last edited:
This isn't an XF problem, it's a ThemeHouse one. Your grievances are misdirected.

If you want to get back the 1.5 example, seek out a theme that fits that. There are a ton of themes I can go through and be like, "Yeah, I can round out the corners and add some shadows with CSS to this flat style... but it looks good in blocks, so I'll leave it."

As you said, it's 2019. Flat UI, in my opinion, is much more appealing to the eye than even your 1.5 (maybe I like deep over depth better, but either or will do... neither of these does in my opinion).

This isn't an XF problem

It is because of the changes in structure and function from XF1 to XF2 that all the Styles no doubt had to downgrade their designs. So this question is appropriate for XenForo.

seek out a theme that fits that

There isn't one because all the themes had to downgrade their designs for the new XF2. The theme above is from UIX. UIX no longer looks like it did. Now it looks like it was created in 1997 just like the default design does. Thus my reason for creating this thread. Why?

There are a ton of themes I can go through and be like, "Yeah, I can round out the corners and add some shadows with CSS to this flat style

There are "rounded corners" and "shadows" on the XF2 design if you look again above. They both have it. So I'm not sure what youre trying to say here regarding flat. The problem is that the new structure and layout is absolutely horrible, and looks like it was created two decades ago.

Flat UI, in my opinion, is much more appealing to the eye than even your 1.5

I honestly don't know how you can look at the two examples I provided and not see exactly what Im talking about.

It is because of the changes in structure and function from XF1 to XF2 that all the Styles no doubt had to downgrade their designs.
Why did you suddenly decide?

UIX no longer looks like it did. Now it looks like it was created in 1997 just like the default design does. Thus my reason for creating this thread. Why?
Ask ThemeHouse personally.

There are "rounded corners" and "shadows" on the XF2 design if you look again above. They both have it.
This is a trend. There is nothing to be done about it.
If you want "fresh style from 2019", you should hire a designer and frontend coder. But you should be prepared for addons incompatibility, if your "coder" change layout.

XF2 limitations
XF2 doesn't created any "limitations" for XF styling.

P.S.: I can't understand, why this thread is placed in pre-sales questions.

I honestly don't know how you can look at the two examples I provided and not see exactly what Im talking about.
Again, it's misdirected. ThemeHouse is not constricted by XF to stylize their themes in this manner. They made the conscious decision to design them as is--contact them.

Any designer can get in and build any style they want from the ground up and it work seamlessly with XF (if they know what they're doing, of course).

Contact ThemeHouse and ask for custom styling to get their version 2.x to look like 1.5 and I'm sure they will magically be able to get it to look identical, with a price of course, and no more excuses that XF 2 is inhibiting this.

Again, not an XF problem. It's a designer's choice, quite possibly based upon how the default XF style is, to build around it, with ease, at the cost of potential lost and frustrated customers as yourself (a dime a dozen, though). Why I say this is because the default XF 1.5 style looks drastically different than even your ThemeHouse version... so think about that one.

There is so much flaw in your argument that I can't even... I go from one designer to the next and they seemed to manage to keep their 1.5 styles as close to their 2.x as possible.

In the end, you need to take this up with ThemeHouse, and if ThemeHouse is passing the buck to XF to make you think that way, well, that's a different story altogether.

Also, even using a custom style, it's fairly easy to customize components of a decent style to your liking in XF2.

If you can't do that in UI.X or you can't get support for UI.X, check out PixelExit. Both their styles and their support are superb. I'm sure @Russ can provide suggestions on what might be a good fit for you.

Disclaimer: I don't work for PixelExit and I am not an affiliate for PixelExit. I am just a very satisfied customer.

Top Bottom