1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Show who's viewing / who has viewed a thread.

Discussion in 'XenForo Suggestions' started by DominicE, Aug 4, 2010.

1. DominicE

DominicE Member

I'm not sure if this is posted yet, but maybe show (x viewing) for the forum index page and also who is viewing a forum / thread?

Plus a list of those who have already viewed.

It comes in handy sometimes when you're curious who is viewing a topic or forum.

2. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

Kier mentioned that while the data is tracked, it's just not shown yet. From a suggestion thread I imagine this will come soon[ish].

Softlineck likes this.
  3. hcmagix

hcmagix Active Member

In the suggestion thread only the status for user discussed. I need in forumhome a litte notice "3 Viewing" the forum like vb.

4. JVCode

JVCode Well-Known Member

I'm sure it's already on the "Todo" list, but I too would like to see this feature implemented.

5. Ahmed

Ahmed Well-Known Member

+1 here.

6. hcmagix

hcmagix Active Member

I think left from the RSS Symbol in forumhome are a good place to show this

7. Lawrence

Lawrence Well-Known Member

I would like to see this implemented as well.

I thought for a moment this suggestion was the same as this:
    http://xenforo.com/community/threads/user-is-viewing.202/

Dean likes this.
  8. Spenser

Spenser Active Member

Seems necessary as everybody knows this feature.

9. Grover

Grover Well-Known Member

Not essential for me, but +1

gordy likes this.
  10. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

I always turn it off; one of my sites had a framework built for a private game server, so we were querying that database frequently, and we began to cut down as much as we can on queries.

I also don't see much point to it, most people will reply, and then leave a thread, not caring if people are actually in the topic or not.

11. KURTZ

KURTZ Well-Known Member

same here :)

12. DaKat

DaKat Well-Known Member

Essential for me: I quite frequently check to see if users/moderators are just logged in and lollygagging on the home page or if they are actively searching/replying to posts.

faeronsayn likes this.
  13. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

I like to have this feature switched on too :) compulsively nosy, that's me!

Forsaken likes this.
  14. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

I was going to respond to your post before you edited, and say you were a stalker, but you changed it.

But you're still a stalker.

15. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

I changed it because I misread the suggestion :D I read it to mean the "who's read a thread" hehehe and yeah... I'm the ultimate stalker ;)

16. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Not essential for me, but if it comes in, please have option to turn it off.

Softlineck and Forsaken like this.
  17. kforo

kforo Active Member

Well, we had it active for years and then deactivated it (the list of users inside threads) to much revolt. People went nuts not being able to see other members in their regional threads. Some people would sit in them all day essentially, and refreshing the page would show them who was in the thread. I guess you could look at it as a "chat" to an extent in some threads. Needless to say, I know a lot of people are used to having it in vb and would miss not having it in xen

18. dieketzer

dieketzer Well-Known Member

imo it only encourages people to go invisible.

19. kforo

kforo Active Member

we only allowed staff the ability to go invisible, and that was purely to monitor issues if a thread was going south. They were not using invisible to monitor the site on an ongoing basis

20. dieketzer

dieketzer Well-Known Member

i wish i had done the same, but its too late now.