Show us your studio

Speaking of mixing/producing, my wife's cousin took it up in his 40's, quit his job in finance, and now travels all over the world DJing.

So there's hope for you both yet @digitalpoint and @MattW.
I taught my girlfriend how to use the controller after I figured it out and she’s way better than I am (she cares way more about music than I do). She’s put together some pretty unreal sets (imo anyway) and her learning was the best result of me learning. She can quit her job, I’ll keep coding. Hah

I have a large studio, with a vocal booth and room for equipment and recording, but I don’t have any photos at hand. I found a photo of guitar amplifiers on my phone.

3AC9C29F-B073-4D02-8578-B347AB85971E.JPG
IMG_2337.webp

IMG_3023.webp

Last edited:
attached is a pioneer opus-quad controller and an audio-technica lp120x-usb, with the latter moreso intended for digitizing vinyl rather than spinning it (though when i actually figure out the digitization 100% ill start practicing playing with the cheaper ones on my shelves)

speakers are klipsch rf-ii powered by a yamaha rx-v377, yes it's a bit difficult to hear when youre standing at the decks and theres people talking so i'm gonna be getting some monitors to go at the decks' table.

Attachments

• 20231104_084151.webp
    20231104_084151.webp
    74.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 20231104_084911.webp
    20231104_084911.webp
    94.5 KB · Views: 21
Midi and software will never truly compete with analog synths.

They're convenient and affordable but just not the same.

It's like the difference between a valve and transistor amp.
I like the sound of both and they do sound different.

The quality of the tune is the most important thing and a bad tune played on quality gear is nothing, but a great tune on great gear will be elevated to another level.

I love electronic music. Do you have any tunes you've created yourself that you could share with us here?

My current studio space is a cupboard. Around a year ago I decided to stop performing live and look to buy a property big enough to convert into a home plus studio. I found the perfect property but employed the world's slowest builder to do the conversion work. Nine months later I'm still in the cupboard, the biggest pain being having to rely on midi for drum tracks.

IMG_1549.webp
IMG_1550.webp
IMG_1551.webp

Finished the custom stands for the Eris monitors.

Some leftover plywood, paint, and varnish and some isolation pads on the underside of the stand base and speaker.

You must be tempted now @Sim!

View attachment 293657

Very nice! Love the colour - works really well with the speaker.

Can you make me a pair of those stands large enough for my E5 XTs? They'll need to lift the speaker 55cm off the desk to raise them above the height of my screens. 😁

Speaking of mixing/producing, my wife's cousin took it up in his 40's, quit his job in finance, and now travels all over the world DJing.
My cousin was a well-known engineer and I'd had plans to get into the business fresh out of high school (NYU was one of the first in the country to offer a degree in sound engineering in the early 80s and I nearly went), but took up a job in a family business on the other side of the family, in a completely unrelated field.

Mixed feelings about it. I'd probably be better off now, and much happier career-wise, but also would probably be half deaf from some of the dimwit producers and musicians who need to hear things at 1,000dB (yeah, exaggerating slightly) and wouldn't have had the opportunities to do other things in life.

When I was at uni (early 1990s!), one of the guys in the band I played in did a professional audio engineering course and recruited me (and my keyboards and drum machine!) to help him record some songs for one of his assignments. It was a lot of fun being in a real studio and I would have loved to get similar qualifications at some point. I think our interpretation of The Living Years by Mike and the Mechanics turned out really well.

Shortly after, I got offered a job in another city at twice the money I was earning at the time, so my life took a very different direction. That's one of the things I wish I had been able to maintain - playing music and getting into production, but I never had the time.

That's one of the things I wish I had been able to maintain - playing music and getting into production, but I never had the time.
I still like the production side, but the industry has changed drastically from what it was in the 1980s and early 1990s until now, when someone can load ProTools on a computer and do this work somewhere other than a studio. There are still major studios, but they are not a 24-hour revolving door like they used to be when record labels had bigger budgets and a person could make a living as a full-time session musician.

I do have a couple of friends in specialized positions, though. I won't name any names, but back in May I visited The Mastering Lab or rather, the studio that now owns all of TML's equipment. (Acoustic Sounds purchased TML and moved all the equipment to Salina, KS after Doug Sax passed on.) They only have one of the mastering units set up, but it's fully equipped and they have cut records there. The console was all custom, hand-built electronics, and I believe it might be all tube-driven. (The lathe I know is is tube-driven.) A lot of the equipment from TML is still in crates--they don't have room to set it all up here. The console was cryptic enough that my friend has had to figure out what the controls do, and label them.

The part of the visit that struck me is how many thousands of well-known records were mastered through this system at the hands of Doug Sax.

They do cut primarily from analog (there is another adjoining room behind me in the first pic that has a tape library), but the system for cutting records from digital files is nothing more than an aging laptop and the red Presonus D/A converter box just past the stack of tapes.

PXL_20230510_233719401-01.webp

PXL_20230511_021249764-02.webp

It's housed at Blue Heaven Studios, which Acoustic Sounds set up in a renovated church. (They added a lot of wiring beneath the floor, out of sight.) That window behind the speakers above, and in the adjoining room (which IIRC has a mixing desk, along with nine or ten decks for duplicating 15 IPS/2-track tapes for sale), faces out into the church when the panels at the rear are opened. The studio was busier prior to COVID but lately, it has only been open for a few blues festivals.

PXL_20230511_031000984-01.webp

Can you make me a pair of those stands large enough for my E5 XTs? They'll need to lift the speaker 55cm off the desk to raise them above the height of my screens.

I'd be happy to in exchange for a pair of E5 XTs.

Ooh - local studio gear store still has the Eris Sub8 at 25% off - that would go really nicely with the E5 XTs.

That's the only thing I'm missing from my old Yamaha YST 2.1 speakers - a bit of extra grunt in the bass. Crank up the E5 XTs and they handle bass pretty well - but it's just missing a touch of low end for my liking.

Finished the custom stands for the Eris monitors.

Some leftover plywood, paint, and varnish, and some isolation pads on the underside of the stand base and speaker.

You must be tempted now @Sim!

View attachment 293657
Will I be banned if I say I kind of liked the old ones :)
I use a pair of cheap older M-audio BX8 standing on a sturdy higher cupboard a bit away from my desk, to untidy for photos, sorry.

Thanks to @Kier for giving me the heads up, I just grabbed a copy of Pigments for $69 in the Black Friday sale.

It's listed as $99 on the site but after logging in an additional discount is applied.

Looking forward to playing with a "real" synthesiser.

Top Bottom