1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Show the sidebar in a page exactly like in the forum home

Discussion in 'Styling and Customization Questions' started by Nomed Senkrad, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Nomed Senkrad

Nomed Senkrad Member

I've been searching a bit for this information, I'm creating a new node page and I'd like to show the sidebar with all the information I have in the forum home.

I used the sidebar tag, but it shows only the ad and not the other things (like the users online and other add-ons like the chat).
    Code:
    <xen:sidebar>
    Sidebar content
    </xen:sidebar>
    Is there a way to set the type of the page to use the standard sidebar, or must I add manually all the things?

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The data from the forum home page isn't exposed to be used on other pages so you will need an add-on to achieve that.

Using the sidebar tags just inserts an empty sidebar; you then need to populate it with content and/or templates.

3. Morgain

Morgain Well-Known Member

Brogan my sidebar isn't completely empty.
    I get the section with the user avatar at the top plus the searchbox.

Nomed to get you started the way I did it was to make a new template.
    Not difficult - button top right of the Appearances/ Templates page.
    I named it nodemenu because it is mainly a node hierarchy menu.

In my nodemenu template I have

Code:
    <!-- XF STANDARD BLOCK -->
    <div class="section" align="center">
    <div class="secondaryContent" style="background: #ffffff">

CONTENT OF THE MENU

</div>
    </div>
    That makes it display in the same white block as the blocks on the front page.

There is then quite a lot of different templates to add it to - depends how widely you want it to display. Link in my sig though I confess I found a few more than is listed there.
    Also an addon that creates blocks for you see my sig. I found that a bit complicated for my needs.

4. Nomed Senkrad

Nomed Senkrad Member

Thank you very much! I modified my original idea for that page and I used the sidebar tag without the data forms. :)