1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of Interest Show private forum

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by Liam W, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

xenForo really needs this feature - the ability to display forum's to users that don't have permission to see them, but when they click them they get a no permission message.

2. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

You can't do this with private nodes but you could do this with a public node using these permissions:

View threads by others: Revoke (or possibly Never)
    View thread content: Revoke (or possibly Never)

At least I think this would work...

3. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

Then when they click the forum, they would see an empty forum with no threads, so it wouldn't really work.

4. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

I temp tried it because i have a contributors area. in forum_view they can see all the threads that are posted but when they click to go in a thread only then the permission error is pulled.

I think liam is wanting it to display to them in forum_list but when they go into forum_view a permission error is pulled as it is when they venture into thread_view. I could be wrong in assuming that is what Liam is wanting. If so I agree.

Liam W likes this.
  5. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

I think thats pretty much it :)

vBulletin has this feature, and I used it a lot - it can be good for showcasing premium forum's etc.

Shelley likes this.
  6. Shelley

Yeah, I used it alot to. it let's member's know there is a hidden gem that can be accessed but they have to (contribute/purchase whatever) to view what is in that area. Personally, I never did understand why we couldn't do this but since you mentioned it and i used it regularly on the old software I think somehow it should be implemented.

7. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You can do it with a link node.

Allow the view perm for the link node, revoke access to the forum it links to.

Shelley likes this.
  8. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

Ahem, the icons will be different...

It's a solution, but an ugly one.

9. Brogan

I offered you a solution.

No duplicated content involved at all, it's a link node.

Shelley and Andrej like this.
  10. Shelley

You don't happen to have the link with the instructions do you Brogan? Hadn't realised this was possible.

11. Brogan

Shelley likes this.