Show post has been edited?

That's an question people does alot arround here.

And untill now we're getting a NO to it. There is no setting and far I know there wasn't no work to implement it.

I defend at least to be possible to MODs too see if the Post was edited, this way the users wont get afected.

Thanks Dean, but that's edit HISTORY - I just want a notice underneath the post to show someone has edited it.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Any idea if it is coming in 1.1?

Sorry to bump, but I've had near riots in the past when people have edited posts and it hasn't shown they've been edited - and since I'm hoping to move my large board to XF when 1.1 comes out I'd appreciate it of you could confirm whether "Edited by ..." will be available in 1.1?

Thanks (and apologies for being pushy),

The moderator log lists edits to posts made by moderators, but the details of the edit are not stored, in the front end or ACP.

Edits made by members to their own posts are not listed or detailed.

Sorry to bump, but I've had near riots in the past when people have edited posts and it hasn't shown they've been edited

This sums it up really well. People don't like having their posts edited (eg. by a moderator) and perhaps just as importantly, they really don't like it when their post has been edited with no clear sign that it has (because something which they didn't originally write is being attributed to them) so an "edited by..." tag is critical to manage this.

The workaround is to ensure all mods and admin manually add a line of text at the end to say they have edited the post - but having this as a core feature would be so much better.

Unfortunately this seems to be a critical feature that is not considered critical enough to include in a hurry. All I can say is, if you run a community that is frequently spammed, has long running bun fights, disruptive members, grey areas in terms of law and what you can discuss, therefore many reasons why you might need to edit posts, you'll soon appreciate the need for it, because you'll soon have irate members wasting admin time through posts/PMs asking if/why they have been edited :)

My main concern is that members will soon figure out they can change their post content without it showing up as edited on the front-end. Some will use this to cause problems - changing what they say to manipulate threads and/or other members - causing big moderation headaches.

Without any notification that a post has been edited (or any edit history) - I cannot moderate the issue. How do I "prove" that a post has been changed if the board doesn't show that something has been edited?

The only way around this is to disallow editing completely, which will suck.

Cheers,

You can disable editing after a time period. (Not that I'm saying that's the same.)

My main concern is that members will soon figure out they can change their post content without it showing up as edited on the front-end. Some will use this to cause problems - changing what they say to manipulate threads and/or other members - causing big moderation headaches.

Without any notification that a post has been edited (or any edit history) - I cannot moderate the issue. How do I "prove" that a post has been changed if the board doesn't show that something has been edited?

The only way around this is to disallow editing completely, which will suck.

Cheers,
I've explicitly told my members that any post can be edited at any time and there will be no record of it - and to quote appropriately i.e. if someone is addressing a particular point someone made, quote it. Not ideal, but it helped.

I've explicitly told my members that any post can be edited at any time and there will be no record of it - and to quote appropriately i.e. if someone is addressing a particular point someone made, quote it. Not ideal, but it helped.

Good advice - thanks Dean.

@Mike - is this something that will make it into 1.2 do you think?

Cheers,

I would also appreciate a core function showing when the post was last modifed and by who.

Top Bottom