Should I use Java (by Oracle) on all my Windows Clients ?

What Java do you use ?

• Total voters
Java is evil. We hates it with a passion.

Oracle is great at buying stuff and then making them suck. Java is one example. MySQL is another.

Java is evil. We hates it with a passion.

Oracle is great at buying stuff and then making them suck. Java is one example. MySQL is another.
Java sucked long before Oracle owned it. As for MySQL there's nothing inherantly wrong with it...it's just getting to be very old and hasn't really had any worthwhile updates in a long time.

Java has constant security issues. In both Chrome and firefox you can go to about:plugins to disable it. Chrome has that shortcut as well.
Yep. I suspect because of the many security issues and because it's not supported by smartphones and tablets, it will be phased out so regular users won't need it any more.

Java sucked long before Oracle owned it. As for MySQL there's nothing inherantly wrong with it...it's just getting to be very old and hasn't really had any worthwhile updates in a long time.

Wait till Oracle announces their new pricing plans ;-p

There are some chat and IRC clients that require Java to run. Some games such as Minecraft require Java to run.

You can uninstall it, and find out if you're affected when you try to launch something that requires it.

Wait till Oracle announces their new pricing plans ;-p

I cant see MySQL ever going 'closed source' and paid - ever.

That being said, even if it did, it really wouldnt be that much of an issue. You'd have a bunch of people fork it, and then you'd have another bunch switch to something better (e.g MongoDB, CouchDB, etc)

Either way it'll be all good :)

I hope so. I haven't checked up things recently, but recall reading that Oracle intended to start charging quite high consultancy costs. I'm guessing that will mostly neglect the free versions, and instead start focusing on the Enterprise versions, with the eventual goal to shift customers to Oracle DB instead.

I hope so. I haven't checked up things recently, but recall reading that Oracle intended to start charging quite high consultancy costs. I'm guessing that will mostly neglect the free versions, and instead start focusing on the Enterprise versions, with the eventual goal to shift customers to Oracle DB instead.
Legally they cant do that. MySQL is licensed under the GPL, and as such must always remain free and opensource.

Also most of MySQL development is done by outsiders. Oracle only maintain the enterprise version. MySQL is already offered as a paid product as part of their enterprise program (although no idea why anyone would ever pay for it!).

Either way, it'd take a hell of a lot to stop MySQL being free/opensource :)

Full rootkits are in the wild. One bad URL => rooted.

Do you have Java running in your browser:

Chrome: about:plugins
Firefox: about:plugins
IE: MEH.

Java has constant security issues. In both Chrome and firefox you can go to about:plugins to disable it. Chrome has that shortcut as well.
Disable Java

(1) Firefox:
firefox.disable.java.webp

(2) Chrome:
disable.java.chrome.from.about.plugins.webp

(3) IE: please ? you use that s*** ? (upgrade to 1 or 2).

I tried uninstalling Java this morning to a beautiful lil bug that Java was having a fatal error uninstalling itself. :confused:

Awe, c'mon... Oracle. Get yourself a QA department! Over the weekend I installed not one, but two updates....!

Get rid of it. Java has a bad history of major security flaws, particularly affecting the browser plugin(s). The language itself is fine though and and as long as you don't use the browser plugins, you're on the safe side - but then, you would only need it to run Java applications.

Wonder, who still needs Java in the browser nowadays? Applets are basically dead.

Get rid of it. Java has a bad history of major security flaws, particularly affecting the browser plugin(s). The language itself is fine though and and as long as you don't use the browser plugins, you're on the safe side - but then, you would only need it to run Java applications.
Java's lil vulernability, and bugs were on the news where I live. I installed Java in the first place because I was on a site that says "Java is required to run this." Gah.

Honestly these days, for many of my clients at Net Force when we conclude a penetration test or network vulnerability assessment for HIPAA, PCI, GLBA, etc., we also recommend running certain, more vulnerable applications like Java in a virtual environment that's intended to be only used for that application or set of business applications.

day to day stuff is left outside on the host machine

Danish banks and governments insist on using it, making it even more of a pain to deal with them.
Same in Norway, though the developers recently said that they were not married to java and would look at replacements (BankID). That is a different tune than earlier, when they claimed that Java offered more security, and during each such security flaw the banks kept on saying that the users had to be responsible and update their software...

Java applets for online banking. Seriously?

Yup. I'm an IT guy by profession and a geek by hobby, but it took me forever to get the **** working to begin with. And then when you finally think you're all set, **** gets updated so you're suddenly unable to connect again.

All the more reason to go completely off the grid and just store my money in the walls/only deal in silver or gold/exchange services for goods or something.

Top Bottom