MG 2.2 Sharing an image

DaveM

I have noticed that a huge change has taken place in the media gallery and there used to be a load of options on how one could share a photo. Now I see that has all gone and I don't really see how this can be done. I noticed the options on the right bottom that should be sharing options, these ones.

Media.JPG

When I use the link option and try and share it I seem to get this

5141940905571615203-jpg.11139

This link that I got from using that option is one of the images I tried to share above and on my site and I just see the 1664040456675.webp

Code:
https://www.triumphtalk.com/media/5141940905571615203-jpg.11139/

Seem to work for me.

You try with any other browsers, or disabled any browser add-ons you have enabled?

I have no idea what is causing this but that is a place to start looking I suppose.

Very strange that it worked with you, at least now I have something to work with to try and find out why it is doing this with me. I am using Firefox so I wonder if that could be the issue.

I will try another browser a bit later and see if I can find why this is like this.

I was just looking at this now and if you just drop the link straight into the post it will post like this

I see no way to post an image using the insert image option so it looks like this.

Iconic%2520British%2520Motorcycles%2520-%25201.png

Is this on your site itself?

Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 4.27.32 PM.png

But, if using the insert image by URL link I can see where it presents a problem

Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 4.33.42 PM.png

5141940905571615203-jpg.11139

I think the problem is because the "Link" button does not actually link to the actual physical image but to the XF route to the image album display.
If you talk the link it gives you and put it in the address bar, it will go to the album image display itself.

Code:
https://astrowhat.com/media/afternoon-moon.89/
afternoon-moon.89

But, if you right click on the image and select copy image in from your browser, you get a different URL to the actual image.
Code:
https://astrowhat.com/media/afternoon-moon.89/full

full

I can see why they do that, as if it was simply a link to the full image, you are then totally outside the forum site itself and have no navigation ability. They SHOULD offer, in addition to "Link", an EMBED Image feature, with embed being the link to the full image.

Last edited:
Use image BBCode instead image link
[IMG width="720px" height="405px"]https://www.triumphtalk.com/media/5141940905571615203-jpg.11139/full[/IMG]
Note the difference between the "link" you use to the image... It's NOT the link that is provided by the Link button in the gallery (see my earlier post).
I think his complaint (and if it is is, I have to agree with it) is that one would "assume" that the Link would link to the actual image, and not the XF route to the image. But, as I also said, I can see why they did it that way, as it links to the image route and can use the URL unfurling ability to push more traffic to the site itself and not the image, which would be a "standalone" item.
An Embed image option using the link structure you and I showed with the /full extension would probably be of benefit to the Gallery add-on. In fact, it probably would not be that hard to create one with all the other Media BBCodes.

Last edited:
This is where i took the link used.
Those don't even show up (the lower portion) on my site for XFMG... this is all I see.

Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 5.37.51 PM.png

So, apparently there is an option hidden somewhere that you can turn off those links... but I still think that they need an embed button to include in what i show above as if those two options aren't displayed, then one assumes the link button will suffice.

EDIT:

AND the answer is... if you enable Enable media list lightbox navigation in in the XFMG options, that does NOT show up. This is my same site with it disabled.

Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 5.43.12 PM.png

So... to me, that is a "bug" in the LightBox navigation code... as I said, it SHOULD offer those options as image buttons like it does with the others.

Last edited:
So... to me, that is a "bug" in the LightBox navigation code... as I said, it SHOULD offer those options as image buttons like it does with the others.
I wouldn't call it a bug. These blocks are accessible even if the lightbox is activated but you have to click on this link rather than the image itself.
On the other hand, it would actually be practical to have this block even in the lightbox navigation. Open a suggestion about it, why not?

Capture d’écran 2022-09-25 225218.webp

Exactly... and when I visited his site, his are apparently in lightbox mode.. which my site is normally kept in.

Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 5.47.54 PM.webp

Now, when you clicked one one of the images on his landing page in "Random Media" widget, it bypasses the LightBox that is used as shown above and defaults back to the "old" display style. 🤷‍♂️

Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 5.51.30 PM.webp

But if you go into the actual Media gallery and click on New Media it displays in lightbox. 👀

Even here, when displayed using the LightBox option in XFGM, those Share Media links to not appear.

Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 5.52.33 PM.webp

The example you showed for my site, you probably caught me as I was playing with the switch config option in ACP... as an incognito browser window for guest shows this for the Gallery entry of an actual image, and visiting on my iPhone shows NO share links at all with the LightBox enabled as either guest or logged in.

Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 5.54.53 PM.webp👀

Top Bottom