Shared or VPS hosting ?

You can work with Shared Hosting for a small forum. You can always upgrade to a VPS or a bigger environment as your site progresses.

Switch hosts.

There's no reason to upgrade to a VPS with such a small forum.

I'm still on shared hosting.

I have the same view, I've never understood why some are in such a rush to use much more expensive VPS site hosting when it's not needed for a least a year (minimum), probably much longer these days looking at the dire slow rate most forums are generally growing at. Most will end-up closing down their forums due to lack of actively before they get anywhere near requiring VPS hosting.

I don't see the point in paying all that money for VPS hosting each month (at the very start), when they don't have neither the traffic or forum activity taking place to warrant even paying it. I mean, do you go pay British Gas £100 a quarter for only using £40 worth of gas?

Sometimes I think forum owners just want to have that "Big Boy" status thing, be able to say they use VPS hosting to look all Pro, they want to get away from the bad stigma that's usually attached with using Shared Hosting and your forum not being taken seriously because of it.

If you really want to use a VPS, start with a cheap one. But like what everyone else said, Shared Hosting works. Just transfer to a more reputable company and something with stable uptime.

Shared Hosting uses fast servers and unlimited space in most cases. Bluehost works for my small forum and its fast. When it slows down I just call and they fix the problem fast. VPS is good if you want to run software that a shared host wont allow. Other than that it may even be slower in speed than your shared server.

I prefer VPS hosting just because I like the control it comes with. There is nothing on the system unless I put it there. You can get some pretty cheap VPS accounts if you know where to look. Under $10/month in some cases. I have used intovps and burstnet before, both worked fine. Not as reliable as linode, but for the money they were great.

I've had a VPS for myself for a bit over a year and a half now. It's great to be able to do just about anything I want. :)

Switch hosts.

There's no reason to upgrade to a VPS with such a small forum.

I'm still on shared hosting.
If you don´t mind to mention the characteristics of the hosting provider service you are using, I will appreciate the information, since I am starting with my XF and currently looks very slow without any load of users, so I will try to upgrade for a better response . Thanks in advance.

tinyvz.com works for me. For $15 a year, it's been stable (I've had mine for a couple of months), and it's 1Gbps too. The downside to that is that it's stuck at 10GB HDD and 256MB RAM, but it will work for small sites, and if you configure your stuff well.

Both of my forums combined have about 6,000 members and 20,000 posts in all. I use a managed VPS.

Dual Xeon 8 Core w/ Hyper-threading (x16)
1GB SLR RAM
100GB RAID-10 Disk Space
3TB Outbound BW (Unmetered INBound)

I use CentOS 6, Apache and cPanel/WHM with Virtuozzo. My servers RAM stays around 300mb out of 1024mb. CPU stays under 3% all time.

It's really all about the traffic. The above post screams WiredTree (those are the exact specs they offer on their entry VPS plan), which I know to be a good host. For a single Xenforo board that should be plenty to handle the load.

It's really all about the traffic. The above post screams WiredTree (those are the exact specs they offer on their entry VPS plan), which I know to be a good host. For a single Xenforo board that should be plenty to handle the load.
It is WiredTree. They've been great for me so far, about a month ago I got them. The price ($50.00/m) is a little high just to host some forums, but it's well worth it if you want to maintain a good server/forum for your people. I host two forums for game servers, soon to be three, never had a problem with load times and whatnot.

Top Bottom