Shared or VPS hosting ?

iTuN3r

Started my new project with xenforo couples of months back and it's going good slowly but the current hosting plan i am on is shared hosting with blue host company and they suck big time . My site is down again this morning for last few minutes and i never get any good answer from their support team .

Members registered - 132 .
Discussion - 400

So feel free to suggest me a solution . Don't have a big budget right now .

Thanks

Switch hosts.

There's no reason to upgrade to a VPS with such a small forum.

I'm still on shared hosting.

It's per month not a year sorry for confusion . Can i see some specs about that server ?

PC me the details we can talk about it.

$6.95 per month or per year?

If you wanted, for a forum as small as yours, I could put you onto my customer dedicated server for like $10 a month.

Pretty good offer that, $10 month x12 =$120, converted to UK pounds is around £80 year. Not bad, I'm paying nearly that a year for shared hosting.

I recently switched from a very good shared host(vidahost) to a very good vps (linode) and couldnt be happier with the switch. Massive learning curve but if you're like me then you'll enjoy learning.

I am on linode and they work fine except for when you do something on youyr site that requires XF to rebuild the caches. It seems that there is a massive io starvation on the nodes.

I am on linode and they work fine except for when you do something on youyr site that requires XF to rebuild the caches. It seems that there is a massive io starvation on the nodes.
Haven't noticed this myself but will keep an eye now that you've mentioned it. :)

I/O useage is always going to be a issue. That is why instead on running a 1gb linode, I am running 2 512mb linodes. It is the same cost, and I can offload a bunch of the I/O bandwidth between 2 servers. Then if the site starts growing, I can always add another web server to help.

Russ

I/O useage is always going to be a issue. That is why instead on running a 1gb linode, I am running 2 512mb linodes. It is the same cost, and I can offload a bunch of the I/O bandwidth between 2 servers. Then if the site starts growing, I can always add another web server to help.

Russ
Can you explain how it works out better to run them separately, given that your Linode(s) share the same equal resources as all other clients on the same host?

Well, since you have 2 linodes, you will actually have 2 harddrives and 2 cpu cores to work with instead one just 1 harddrive and 1 cpu core. So you can utilize more disk drive bandwidth. So you are unloading all the drive I/O traffic across 2 drives.

Top Bottom