XF 2.0 Shared Hosting Core Functions

jim83

Hi everybody.

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before. In fact, I'm fairly certain it has been, but I'm wondering if someone could give me a more personalized answer.

After uploading XF2 to my brand new shared hosting server, I receive this message:

The following warnings were detected when verifying that your server can run XenForo:
  • Your server has disabled a core PHP function exec via the disable_functions directive in php.ini. This may cause unexpected problems in XenForo.
  • Your server has disabled a core PHP function proc_open via the disable_functions directive in php.ini. This may cause unexpected problems in XenForo.
  • Your server has disabled a core PHP function popen via the disable_functions directive in php.ini. This may cause unexpected problems in XenForo.

These will not prevent you from using XenForo, but they should be resolved if possible to ensure optimal functioning. However, you may still continue with the installation.

I've asked my host to enable all of these functions, but they're giving me static about it. They've assured me that they aren't trying to up-sell me by saying no, and that the reason they can't enable any of those functions is because it could compromise the security of everyone else sharing the server. I've threatened to leave, but they won't budge.

I get that they are concerned with safety, but I told them I'm not about to utilize their service if my software won't run as intended on their servers.

I have a few questions:

For those 3 functions above, are they absolutely necessary to enable, or might I be able to get away with keeping them disabled? I like this host and don't really want to change if I don't have to, but I'm certainly not staying if XenForo won't work properly.

My host claims that there aren't any shared hosting companies that would enable the functions above...

Is that true?

For those 3 functions above, are they absolutely necessary to enable, or might I be able to get away with keeping them disabled?
https://xenforo.com/purchase/
1533870144683.webp
You need those enabled in order to run XF.

My host claims that there aren't any shared hosting companies that would enable the functions above...

They are clearly lying. Yes, many shared hosters have those stuff disabled but also many have them enabled. It depens on the company and their decision making.

To clarify:
  • exec is required for XFMG and FFmpeg integration - if you don't plan to have XFMG then it's not required
  • proc_open is required for email delivery when using the built in PHP option - it is not required if using SMTP

Having said that, the host seems less than competent (or is lying) by not understanding that these functions are commonly available elsewhere, so my advice would be to switch hosts.

Thanks, everybody.

Yeah, these responses are about what I expected, but I just wanted to double-check before I jumped ship on this host.

I'm canceling my service and definitely going eleswhere.

Thanks again.

Thanks, everybody.

Yeah, these responses are about what I expected, but I just wanted to double-check before I jumped ship on this host.

Thanks again.
Try using vps they are also cheaper and highly reliable , powerfull than shared hosting

VPS starts at $5 per month with many wellknown hosters like linode digitalocean and many more.

Take unmanage vps and then do centminmod install from centminmod community tutorial.

Yoy will get superb performance in everything.

You need to spend few days to completely understanding how to manage an unmanaged vps - its easier by reading tutorial at cintminmod.community.com

Thanks, everybody.

Thanks again.
Hello,

we at SavanaHost have this enable by default, you can check out out at @ https://SavanaHost.com/
Or go to our webhosting packages her @ https://savanahost.com/clients/cart.php?gid=1
and if its not enable, just send us a ticket, and we will help you out :)

We hope that we will see you around :)

//
Bendik

Top Bottom