XF 2.1 Disabled Core PHP Functions

Gossamer

I'm currently working with a test installation of XF2 in preparation for upgrading my XF1 site.

When installing, it gave me this warning:
  • Your server has disabled a core PHP function exec via the disable_functions directive in php.ini. This may cause unexpected problems in XenForo.
  • Your server has disabled a core PHP function escapeshellarg via the disable_functions directive in php.ini. This may cause unexpected problems in XenForo.

I asked my host, and they said they would not enable these php functions due to security issues and the fact I'm on shared hosting.

Does anybody know what impact leaving those disabled might have on XenForo?

exec doesn't sound like it will be an issue for me, since I don't use XFMG.

However, email functionality is a concern. I'm assuming this is why I'm getting an ISE whenever I try to send email from the Admin CP?

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator at webmaster@xf2test.pandorarp.com to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

The server error log should help with identifying the cause.

As you are on shared hosting, you will need to ask your host to check.

As an aside, there are many hosts who offer shared hosting, who do not disable those functions.
So you may want to consider switching.

exec is required for XFMG and FFmpeg integration.

I believe escapeshellarg is required for email function.
I think only sending using the PHP mail() function uses escapeshellarg. I can only find instances of this (excl dev usage) in Sendmail.php and MailTransport.php, both of which I think relate to the mail() function.

So if OP is using using SMTP sending (which they probably should be) this might not be an issue.

Top Bottom