Sex Offender Signs Publicly Identify Convicted Predators In Florida

Mike Edge

936502_485458074842418_1545693223_n.jpg

The signs are only for sexual predators, not for all sex offenders, Brad Smith said. Florida defines a sexual predator as someone who has been convicted of a first-degree sex crime such as child molestation or sexual battery or has been convicted of two second-degree sex crimes such as solicitation of a minor or lewd, lascivious, or indecent assault. A judge also can designate a person a sex predator. Bradford County has 98 registered sex offenders, and 18 were predators at the time the signs were erected.

Full Article - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/07/florida-sex-offender-signs-_n_3230957.html

Worthless.
Are sexual predators catching their victims around their home?
Cannot they move out from their home?

I wonder if that is effective. It might well be as the whole town probably knows about it in a day and will be watching the person for anything suspect. But it will also lead to violence against the person, will block any reintegration into society and therefore more crime instead of less.

The Scarlet Letter and Public Hangings come to mind...

A public DB is one thing.....if they are going this route, why shouldn't guys who beat on their wives have to walk around with a sign on their necks?

BTW, just FYI, my sister got a charge against her because her runaway 15 y.o. daughter and her BF wanted to get back at her (just for being a parent!)....

I played tennis with another guy who got a similar charge - never touched anyone at anytime, but apparently had a CD of the wrong type in his possession and dropped it (and was found out).....

Oh, another dumb idiot I know went to jail. He was caught growing pot plants in his house and then asked the police if he could look up something on his computer (lawyers number, etc.) before he got taken away. Lo and Behold, the screen saver on his computer had the wrong pictures on it.

This stuff is more common than you might think...but you have to be careful of the mob mentality. I remember back in the 1980's when there was a big witch hunt and innocent people were put into jail.

If they did their time it's assumed they have paid their debt to society. I'm against this sort of thing as it goes against the very fabric of our justice system.

Sex offenders never do their time. Here in the UK you are lucky if a sex offender is even convicted even if there is compelling evidence. On the chance they are convicted they are usually short sentences of a couple of months in a luxury cell with snooker tables, widescreen tvs at their disposal.

Sex offenders never do their time. Here in the UK you are lucky if a sex offender is even convicted even if there is compelling evidence. On the chance they are convicted they are usually short sentences of a couple of months in a luxury cell with snooker tables, widescreen tvs at their disposal.

A guy I have come across through work has recently received a 17 year sentence in the UK for some for of sex offence. It will be interesting to see how much of it he actually serves, as I don't think 17 years is long enough personally.

Putting a sign up in their garden isn't a good idea though, promotes violence and gives the police more work to do.

But, on the other hand you can understand why this move was made...

"I felt embarrassed for him," Green said. "It seems like it's a little too much. Kids living in the neighborhood read (the sign) and are asking questions like `What is a sex predator?' I think he should be able to live in peace at least. It's a little over the top for me."

LMFAOOOO :ROFLMAO:

Felt embarrassed for a sexual predator? Wow. What about the person he committed the crime against? They have to live with that scar forever as well.

If they did their time it's assumed they have paid their debt to society. I'm against this sort of thing as it goes against the very fabric of our justice system.

I tend to agree. Placing a sign in front of the home is WAY over the top IMO. And once you start this, where does it stop?

Mob mentality?

I don't see any of that in this thread honestly.

Mob mentality is not here (I didn't say it was!).....but it is in the general public and leads to stuff like that Sheriff smiling next to the sign, etc.

Justice must be served, but cruel and unusual punishment is forbidden by our Constitution. There is a difference.

We have a lot of experience with that in the history of this nation (and others have it too). Witch trials, public spectacles, scarlet letters, the stocks, etc.

Nothing was as popular as a good hanging way back when.....

Yup. A couple decades ago I would've gotten hanged by a bunch of white folks for winking at Shelley or even Morgain.

Institutional slavery only ended about 49 years ago during the Civil Right's Movement.

Top Bottom