XF 1.1 Several Questions

George

My site is BullyBreedResource.com and I am looking to convert to Xenforo as I tried to wait out in hopes of vB actually getting better. As you can see there are several custom coded features that run along side vBulletin that I will need to convert as well. I have never coded in a mvc environment. All of my coding skills come from being self taught and this is like learning Chinese to me. It will surely be a learning process. Sadly I will have to close my site for nearly a month to convert it over. I do not know of any other way to do it and keep everything working as is now, with all data up to date.

There may be several tutorials on these questions, but I haven't looked to far into it. Any and All help would be very much appreciated.

My first question: How do I use Xenforo user authentication on external pages and sub domains?
I currently do this in vB for the pedigree database and several other features of the site.

Second question: How do I make external pages using Xenforo templates and is there a generic_shell or equivalent? Everything on my site has its own template in the vBulletin style system. Some templates call other templates.

What is the easiest way to use the jQuery popups and style from the current theme in use?
I currently use YUI as that is what was available in vBulletin and did not want to mix features.

How do I add to the menu and sub-menu in the header.
As you can see in my site if you go to different sections of the site they all have their own submenu depending on what page you are on.

How do I make my own admin pages to control my addons. All of the custom features on my site have an admin page to approve, edit, remove, etc.

What is the best way of converting code coded for vBulletin into Xenforo MVC format.
Currently I have a php file with all of the functions/classes that calls the templates from vBulletin.

That is all that I can think of right now, Any kind of guidance or direction would be great.

Thanks again,
George

Also what is suggested of the user albums my members use this feature of vBulletin the most.

If you notice my Event forums are linked to the calendar how will Xenforo handle them forums?

Don't shut your site down !
Run xenforo locally until you've worked out the migration.

Also what is suggested of the user albums my members use this feature of vBulletin the most.
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xfr-user-albums.14033/

If you notice my Event forums are linked to the calendar how will Xenforo handle them forums?
vB Calendar sucks.
XenAtendo - is a solid Events Calendar.

Your Post from May seems like you are trying to get out of the forum scene. You might want to remove that post if you are thinking of staying.

For your Home Page you should use either Wordpress with the bridge or XenPorta.

Don't shut your site down !
Run xenforo locally until you've worked out the migration.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xfr-user-albums.14033/

Thanks for the Reply, However there is no way to import vb4 user albums into that.

I will have to convert all the data all over but that would only take a few hours. I could do all of the coding first I guess.

vB Calendar sucks.
XenAtendo - is a solid Events Calendar.

Does that make a post every time the event is posted in a specific set of forums. Never mind I can go read how it works my self now. LOL

Edit: Yeah that would work much better for my event forums. I do not need to import the current data as the show season is almost over so all events in the system are out dated. One feature is found.

My biggest thing is to keep the current feature set I currently have with out having to get rid of all that data to convert. Like if I do not convert all of them user albums my members will be fairly mad as some members will lose their photos and do not have copies.

My first question: How do I use Xenforo user authentication on external pages and sub domains?
I currently do this in vB for the pedigree database and several other features of the site.

The password information in XenForo is serialized in the database so you can't authenticate directly with SQL like you can in vB. You need to unserialize the information in xf_user_authenticate.data and then see if the hash matches. See this file for the auth code:

library/XenForo/Authentication/Core.php

Second question: How do I make external pages using Xenforo templates and is there a generic_shell or equivalent? Everything on my site has its own template in the vBulletin style system. Some templates call other templates.

XenForo lets you create page nodes from within the Admin CP where you can enter your own template HTML which is then shown within the XenForo layout. You can use callbacks to execute your own PHP code in page nodes. Here is a tutorial:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/editing-templates-and-defining-a-callback-for-pages.7226/

What is the easiest way to use the jQuery popups and style from the current theme in use?
I currently use YUI as that is what was available in vBulletin and did not want to mix features.

There are many examples of popups in the templates. For example, the navigation_visitor_tab template has the account popup menu that shows in the top right. You will see there are various popup and menu classes you can use.

How do I add to the menu and sub-menu in the header.
As you can see in my site if you go to different sections of the site they all have their own submenu depending on what page you are on.

Here is a guide for creating your own page as an addon which also allows you to create your own nav tab with sublinks:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/how-i-created-my-external-pages.14332/

How do I make my own admin pages to control my addons. All of the custom features on my site have an admin page to approve, edit, remove, etc.

That is also part of creating an addon. It's under the Development tab in your Admin CP:

Screen shot 2011-10-05 at 10.01.52 PM.webp

What is the best way of converting code coded for vBulletin into Xenforo MVC format.
Currently I have a php file with all of the functions/classes that calls the templates from vBulletin.

The previous link I posted shows how to create a basic skeleton for an addon page with custom navigation and everything. Once you have the skeleton you can put in your code to fetch whatever data you need to display.

Everything belongs to a class in XenForo. If you have a raw list of functions that you used in vBulletin then you can put them into a class and work with that object. You might be used to requiring your functions file and then just calling the functions. Instead of that you need to create a class with your functions, instantiate that class, and call your functions through the class object.

The unofficial vB4 importer does albums:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/vbulletin-4-importer.5726/

> * Import of Albums, as attachments, to a set of threads viewable by Staff only.

The threads will be imported. The calendar events will not. XenForo doesn't have a built-in calendar. You can install XenAtendo like Digital Doctor said, but there is no importer to bring over your vB events to that addon.

Thanks for that reply Jake. If I import the albums into a forum as a set of threads how do I export them to one of the gallery mods here in the addons section. If they are private how do my members see their own attachments?

After your post explaining all this, this is the biggest problem. I need a way to keep the albums intact as my members use that a lot(like daily uploads).

I really need to keep them assigned to each user just as they are in vB. I need each user to keep their albums. This is all that is holding me up from converting over at this point. When I upgraded from vB 3.x into 4.0 I lost tons of pictures from the photoplog gallery and my members got angry some of which left. Photoplog didn't work with the upgrade and took months to upgrade their version. So I need to find some gallery system to keep them all in tact. What did everyone do to their galleries?

If I import the albums into a forum as a set of threads how do I export them to one of the gallery mods here in the addons section. If they are private how do my members see their own attachments?

That requires custom development. You could modify the vB4 importer for your purposes.

I have to learn to code for Xenforo first. I made one simple mod here and forgot what I did to make it. lol
I wish my coding skills for MVC format was up to par. I feel like I almost have to take a coding course compared to coding for vBulletin.

I will get the hang of it I am sure I have to look at what others have done.

Thanks again Jake Nice to get some answers from someone here. I started to think I was only talking to myself.

Top Bottom