Several questions about migration from vBulletin 3.x

J3rry

Hi there!

I really like Xenforo coded and planning to migrate my forum. But I have some questions.

1. What's your current situation with lawsuits against you? I read announcemens but as I heared there are several other lawsuits still left? I just want to be sure in your company because switching forum engine is a big and hard step for me.

2. My forum is about 1,6 mil. posts. How long It may takes to migrate such a big forum? My server specs. are:
Intel® Core™ i7-920 Quadcore
8 GB DDR3 RAM
2 x 750 GB SATA-II HDD (Software-RAID 1)
Do you have shell migration script for big forums or just browser based?

3. Are you planning to develop something like CMS? I'm very interested in this feature.

Thanks alot for your answers.

I migrated a forum from 3.8 that was about 325.000 posts big. It took about half an hour to migrate.

These are my server specs:
  • 1x Xeon X3440, 1x Quadcore – Lynnfield
  • 8 GB DDR3-RAM ECC
  • 2x 1.000 GB SATA II-HDD, 5.400upm; RAID 1
  • 1x 60 GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD
The database is on the SSD.

I migrated a forum from 3.8 that was about 325.000 posts big. It took about half an hour to migrate.

These are my server specs:
  • 1x Xeon X3440, 1x Quadcore – Lynnfield
  • 8 GB DDR3-RAM ECC
  • 2x 1.000 GB SATA II-HDD, 5.400upm; RAID 1
  • 1x 60 GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD
The database is on the SSD.

Off-topic for a second: did you notice any improvement with the database on SSD? We have that option as an upgrade at our host.

Off-topic for a second: did you notice any improvement with the database on SSD? We have that option as an upgrade at our host.
Note failure rate for sandforce based ssds such as OCZ Vertex 2 are very high compared to more reliable but slower Intel X25-M/X25-E MLC/SLC based SSDs , so if you use such ssds ensure you have a good mysql backup process in place. Best to use R1soft CDP backup + R1soft CDP MySQL plugin to backup web site/server data + mysql data.

industry failure rates
  • Intel X25-M/X25-E SSD = ~2.5%
  • Crucial RealSSD C300 SSD = ~4.5%
  • Sandforce based SSD such as OCZ Vertex 2 = ~10-50%

Note failure rate for sandforce based ssds such as OCZ Vertex 2 are very high compared to more reliable but slower Intel X25-M/X25-E MLC/SLC based SSDs , so if you use such ssds ensure you have a good mysql backup process in place.

That is good to know. SSD is a young technology.

Our host sets up dedicated servers with a "shadow drive" to cover hardware-based failures, but that might be a moot point if both drives were Sandforce based. Although it would be unlikely both would fail at the exact same point in time.

Top Bottom