Questions About Migration from vB

CF Mike

Hello.

I'm one of two administrators on a discussion board. The other admin (Stovebolts) should be registering here soon as well so that we can get a feel for the migration process before we commit. As with many others, we're determined to move from vBulletin. We're currently running vB 4.13. My chief concern is spam control. I've read a few threads here about your ability to deal with it, but I haven't seen anything addressing it the way we currently do.

We've tried quite a few mods that have promised to do the trick. Some of them were quite complex, and others were simple. In the end, they failed in their delivery, and we were forced to moderate roughly 50-75 spam-bots per day. Even though they didn't make it to the board to bother our membership, they were quite taxing on our team of about 10 moderators. Our board averages about 400 posts per day.

What finally worked, and worked perfectly, was a mod that boots any first post by a new member with a hyper-link included. When a new member registers and posts with a hyperlink, they are given an error message explaining exactly why their message was not accepted. Of course, spam-bots don't read that, so they continue to pound away with the same program, and the system deletes their posts before they even reach our moderation queue. They continue to pound their spam, and we're oblivious to it. Live members will read the error message and make the necessary changes. Our spam volume immediately disappeared with the activation of this mod, and it's been terrific!

Can something similar be applied using XF? If not, can you direct me to a link showing exactly how what you do offer works as well. I have more migration questions, but I'll keep the length of my first post down with this one for now.

Thank you!

Mike

Sure, it can happen, but we're strict about permitting only one active account, and we use matching IP's to throw up flags; not deem them guilty. We've found more people trying to circumvent the system by checking into matching IP's as opposed the email addresses. It's easy to create a new email addy; much more inconvenient to avoid using the same IP. In the end, we need more evidence to be sure it's the same person if they say they don't know who the original member is. We kinda have to take their word for it at that point.

Is there a link to a glossary of terms that are unique to XF? I found a few add-ons that are geared toward admins, but I'm thinking of all the new terminology our members accustom to vB might be thrown by.

Even the staff had been looking for a "delete" option in the in-box, and we came to realize "leave conversation" accomplished this. Nodes and conversations are just a few terms they might not get, and I'm thinking we will likely discover more.

I think it would be a good resource to have a list of many terms & phrases even if they are not unique here for new members and established ones who never really caught on to some.

Top Bottom