1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Server Software Upgrade

Discussion in 'Server Configuration and Hosting' started by 0ptima, Sep 6, 2015.

1. 0ptima

0ptima Well-Known Member

Im going to ask my host to upgrade the server software and was wondering if the following will be ok for Xenforo.

Latest stable Centos 6.x 64 bit
    Latest stable Apache 2.4
    PHP 5.6.12
    mysql 5.6.26

Should I ask for anything else? Thanks.

2. Marcus

Marcus Well-Known Member

Just enter this in your bash
    # yum update

This updates your os, kernel, and all installed programs to the latest release. Your host will not do much more. Not sure if you can update php with this line , it depends how you installed your php

3. Fred.

Fred. Well-Known Member

Why not go for CentOS 7? Almost a year on CentOS 7 now without any problems.
    In 2 months PHP 7 stable will be released.

Set3sh likes this.
  4. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

CentOS 6.7 or 7.1
    PHP 5.6.13
    Nginx 1.9.4
    MariaDB 10 :D

5. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

You should really be running CentOS 7 and PHP5.6 at this point.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  6. 0ptima

0ptima Well-Known Member

Thanks. I guess I will go for CentOS 7.1.

7. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

I had some serious issues when setting up my mail related stuff on a 7 series CentOS box. Did not play the same as a 6.x series. Not really sure what it was, and I'm not real comfortable with SystemD yet - so that was another issue. With the 6 series EOL in 2020, I figure I'll have another server before then. :p

0ptima likes this.
  8. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

I think you mean PHP 5.6? :)

9. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Yes!!! Thank you! ha ha

10. Moshe1010

Moshe1010 Well-Known Member

What's the benefit(s) of 7 vs. 6 (latest versions)?
    I mean for the average Joe who runs XenForo and WP on a VPS.

0ptima likes this.
  11. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Well, as with most things linux, you aren't really going to see a whole lot of new features or bells and whistles or anything. On all our systems (and we tested CentOS7 considerably for quite some time on both VPSs and dedicated boxes), CentOS 7 was noticeably faster than 6, and generally used less resources. Paired with PHP 5.6, it was definitely fast.

So are you going to notice much of a difference on a VPS for an average site? Probably not. But there's no reason not to upgrade to ver. 7.

12. Moshe1010

If you use cPanel there is a reason.

13. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

cPanel has supported CentOS 7 for a while now. Using cPanel is no reason to stay on Version 6.

14. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

Maybe one day they will get their version upgrades to work as well as Debian's does. With my mail setup, there is no way I'd even attempt upgrading the OS with the warnings I've read about having custom repo's, etc. causing issues. Debian never had an issues for me.

15. Moshe1010

As far as I know it's available only at the EDGE tier

16. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

That is incorrect.