Server side image resize

Dazeria

Hi guys,

I've been a vb user for a long time but now I really cannot stand it any more. I'm evaluating to move to your new platform as it looks great. Just a very important issue for my users, they use to upload very large image files to the forum and with vb we had the chance to automatically resize them to a more band-saving format. I realize you don't actually have this feature, and neither IPB. Do you guys have any plan about develeping this feature? Thanks a lot in advance. Cheers

Old post, but I have a couple of questions just to clarify things for us.

If I have my maximum size set to 800 x 800, and a user uploads something much larger (3200 x 2400), the image then gets resized down to 800 px wide?

If so, is the original (much larger) image discarded after resizing? We have an issue with storage space, and do not wish to become an "image hosting" service.

Also, I have the file size set to a low level based on that. Would I need to bump that up to a far higher value (maybe 5MB) so users can upload the larger file before it is resized?

We don't keep the original.

Size checks are done after resizing, but keep in mind that the resizing compression may vary from image to image and format to format, so it may not necessarily shrink the file size. (Going from 3200x2400 to 800x600 certainly would shrink the final filesize, but 801x801 to 800x800 may not.)

We don't keep the original.

Size checks are done after resizing, but keep in mind that the resizing compression may vary from image to image and format to format, so it may not necessarily shrink the file size. (Going from 3200x2400 to 800x600 certainly would shrink the final filesize, but 801x801 to 800x800 may not.)

That's mainly what I was worried about--huge images. We have members who don't know how to, or are not equipped to, resize images before uploading. I was basing my settings on how our old vB3.7 installation worked, so I've had the file size down to 128k for 800x800 maximum size. It looks like I can safely bump that up to a decent number and let XF resize it for us. Thanks!

Any advantage to using ImageMagick over GD? I can get the ImageMagick PECL extension installed if needed, but if GD works fine, I'll stick with it. (I'm more familiar with ImageMagick having coded with it before.)

The FAQ in my signature explains what happens with images which are too large in both pixels and file size.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/frequently-asked-questions.5183/#post-180445

(y) I have sigs turned off so I missed it. (Nothing personal, but some sigs can be obnoxious. ;) )

Not for much longer ;)

I'm counting the minutes to 1.2. :D

I'd already disabled a few signature features on our forums by using restrictive CSS...I even made the sigs 90% opaque. ;) I'm too old fashioned I guess--I came up in the era when it was bad netiquette to have sigs greater than two lines long underneath your name. And that was in email, and in Usenet before it became spam bait.

Top Bottom