Server load?

ApexLee

I've been impressed (like many others) with the style and feature set of XenForo and contemplating purchasing it in the 24 hour sale period. However, I haven't found any information from the developers regarding server performance compared to vB or IPB on the same or similar forum setup.

Has this been done? Are we expecting XenForo to use less server resources? I currently have an IPB license and would be interested in moving to XenForo if it is lighter on my server.

I know this maybe a premature topic due to only staff having ran tests... :p

I have an existing forum running with the above statistics but I am thinking of starting a sister community which I know will grow very quickly and I've been tossing between using vBulletin (not happy with the path they're taking) and XenForo which is appears to have a lot of potential for the new sister community.

Quick breakdown of the server 50GB RAM & 4 Quad Core CPU's running SSD drives.

Does Xenforo have any caching mechanisms ready for use like vBulletin config.php xCache etc etc?

Yes.. XenForo will use APC right out of the box as mentioned by the developer.

And Yes you should give XenForo a shot for 3 reasons
1. Cheap
2. give your existing users moving to the sister site a new feel and less boredom (Less VB :D)
3. Get involved early for future sites ;)

I'm concerned about the XF servers crashing on Launch Day due to popular demand. :D
Earlier today, there were hundreds of people online...and I had seen the biggest slowdown in loads that I have seen since I registered.

It took me a few minutes JUST to load a page today. Sometimes when it DID load, some parts of the site (such as the AJAX stuff) were absent.

Could it be
Earlier today, there were hundreds of people online...and I had seen the biggest slowdown in loads that I have seen since I registered.

It took me a few minutes JUST to load a page today. Sometimes when it DID load, some parts of the site (such as the AJAX stuff) were absent.
Perhaps whatever happened to facebook earlier today is the cause if you are using their login?!

hundreds of people are using it, so I think that's the cause of the downtime/slowdown.
Hundreds of users wouldn't cause a slowdown. Hundreds of users is nothing. Thousands of users is nothing, really. To load a page like this you are talking about a lot of tiny little connections that close almost as soon as they open.

The problem today was likely Facebook related, assuming nothing was going on behind the scenes.

The problem today was likely Facebook related, assuming nothing was going on behind the scenes.
Hence why I said what I said in the quote you quoted me on. The fact that many people are using their facebook login as [xenforo] login... crippled the load time for xenforo. The integration is like a glue between the user profile at xenforo, and facebook integration.

facebook is one of the two most visited web services on the web today. their like button is on probably millions of web pages today. they have more than 500 million registered users. they are operating on a scale comparable to google and yahoo today.

this forum is not going to kill them... they had a problem with one of their clusters. to fix that they had to shut down the site for 2 hours.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/facebook-engineering/more-details-on-todays-outage/431441338919

I hope to see a support for CDN and caching modules...but i think XF it's lighter than vb. :)

[OT] Operamaniac, you have 8k guest with vbseo...that is normal to have a huge server load... You can use an addon like vboptimize or LBCache to cache threads for guest.[/OT]
Varnish, Memcached, rewrite XF with Nginx, PHP FastCGI and call it a day. Yep, that's what I plan on doing. *walks away*

Basically, your mileage may vary, but like I said, I expect XF will perform load-wise better than both vB & IPB (definitely better than vB at any rate). It's all mostly speculation though. :p

The developers can simulate tests but a live environment is completely different. They cannot predict what members and guests will be doing on the forum... it will be interesting to see. But really, I gotta fork out the $100 before finding this information out.

Any developers want to provide some insight on this? :)

The developers can simulate tests but a live environment is completely different. They cannot predict what members and guests will be doing on the forum... it will be interesting to see. But really, I gotta fork out the $100 before finding this information out.

Any developers want to provide some insight on this? :)

Well, you don't test a book before you read it, do you?

There aren't any definitive numbers yet. We know it runs well in our experience and has been designed to run well. But I couldn't draw a correlation between us and anyone else, or really even give you definitive info on a very large board. (Having a large data set and having a large production board are quite different.)

Well, you don't test a book before you read it, do you?
I read the book and see if it has anything of interest before buying it. If buying over the Internet, I read the reviews and then consider it.
There aren't any definitive numbers yet. We know it runs well in our experience and has been designed to run well. But I couldn't draw a correlation between us and anyone else, or really even give you definitive info on a very large board. (Having a large data set and having a large production board are quite different.)
Thanks Mike. I will be watching the feedback on these live boards with a lot of traffic. :)

Top Bottom