Server load and VAT

iGee

Hello,

I'm very interested in XenForo as a lot of my competitors use forums and i'm looking to compete with this platform.

The only two things putting me off are:

1) VAT - Since I live in the UK, there's no get away unless i register the purchase with my family's details (who live in US) - Would this be allowed? Or do you need my address for personal/verification purposes?
2) Secondly, is XenForo resource heavy? I have a VPS with 8 CPU's, 8GB DDR3 Dedicated RAM and SSD. It VPS currently crashes with high volume traffic on my main website, will it do the same with the forum?

Thanks,

1) Your family would need to make the purchase on your behalf from their address as any uk based sale would be subject to VAT.

2) XenForo is well known as being one of the lightest commercial forum softwares available.

1) Thanks for the info, i'll get them to purcahse it.

2) Would you recommend having the database stored on a different server?

3) Is XenForo already responsive (mobile ready)? Or would i need to purchase a style to get that feature?

4) If i brought XenForo today, would i get the XF2 upgrade free?

5) I've noticed that some forums have the option to allow users to sign up/login via social media (Facebook, Twitter) etc. Is this a addon? Or does it come with XenForo package?

In addition, I'm unable to view pictures and post in threads - Could you change/look at my permissions?

Thanks,

2) Would you recommend having the database stored on a different server?
This really depends on factors such as how powerful the servers are and how much traffic will be hitting them. If it's a new site, you could move it to a different server in the future if the need is there. If it's an old site you're importing into XenForo and it doesn't currently need to be on a separate server then it probably doesn't need to be on a separate server with XF either.

3) Is XenForo already responsive (mobile ready)? Or would i need to purchase a style to get that feature?
The default style is fully responsive

4) If i brought XenForo today, would i get the XF2 upgrade free?
It's currently expected that there will not be any sort of upgrade fee to the new version, and you should therefore be able to download it as long as your license has valid support. So, yes, if you bought it today and XF2 was released in the next 12 months, the upgrade would be free.

5) I've noticed that some forums have the option to allow users to sign up/login via social media (Facebook, Twitter) etc. Is this a addon? Or does it come with XenForo package?
With XF you can set up logging in with Facebook, Twitter and Google. There are add-ons available which add more services.

In addition, I'm unable to view pictures and post in threads - Could you change/look at my permissions?
Only licensed customers can post in most of the forums here as they are mainly focused around support.

2) Oh right - Thanks. Currently i have a shared hosting package and a high-end VPS. I keeping my VPS for my Wordpress site (at the moment). Do you think my shared hosting plan would cope hosting XenForo with high traffic? It'll be a new forum.

Planning on using the UI.X style with a few addons like the Post Ratings.

Here's the specs:
3 CPU's
4GB RAM
40 Max Process limit
Unlimited Disk Space
Unlimited Bandwidth
Litespeed Web server
Cloudlinux

6) Does XenForo come with spam filters? Or would i need to implement these?

Thanks,

Here's the specs:
3 CPU's
4GB RAM
40 Max Process limit
Unlimited Disk Space
Unlimited Bandwidth
Litespeed Web server
Cloudlinux
Hard to say exactly but it looks ok to me.

6) Does XenForo come with spam filters? Or would i need to implement these?
There are various mechanisms built in, but some may require some additional set up. More details here: https://xenforo.com/help/spam/

Thanks for being so helpful Chris. Hope to purchase XenForo shortly.

If the hosting looks ok to you, it should be good enough till November 2016 as i grow up the community, then i can move it to a dedicated server :)

What's your refund policy?

Thanks,

Do you know if it's possible to disable custom avatars and name colours for normal users? I'm looking at creating a membership which will allow users to add avatars and change the colour of their name in the forum.

Thanks,

Top Bottom