XF 1.3 Server Issues

Amaury

I'm not sure how to test the speed, but the site's been slow since being renewed. (The link to the site is in my signature if anyone wants to test it.)

@Nights will take a look when he's able to get online, but any ideas on what the issue could be?

Last edited:
I'm not sure how to test the speed, but the site's been slow since being renewed. (The link to the site is in my signature if anyone wants to test it.)

@Nights will take a look when he's able to get online, but any ideas on what the issue could be?
One big thing is your server is slow to respond (0.43ms according to pagespeed). That's something that you really don't have a lot of control over (other than changing hosting providers).
Are you on a VPS, shared hosting or what? That will make a difference on where you would get some recommendations to go towards.

One big thing is your server is slow to respond (0.43ms according to pagespeed). That's something that you really don't have a lot of control over (other than changing hosting providers).
Are you on a VPS, shared hosting or what? That will make a difference on where you would get some recommendations to go towards.

Thankfully, the slowness isn't that bad, but it is noticeable.

Anyway, I think we are on shared hosting, but I am not 100% sure.

Dump the cname for www and use an A record:
Screen Shot 2014-06-10 at 11.41.45 PM.webp

Also, if you do mail on your server (which is responding on port 25) you need to follow the two recommendations (this won't have anything to do with the speed though)

Screen Shot 2014-06-10 at 11.43.10 PM.webp

Your server is apparently set up to serve SSL - but no certificate (and it routes to a weird page - probably something to do with BlueHost), but then it redirects to your site with ~khmediaf/ on the end of the domain.

Screen Shot 2014-06-10 at 11.47.34 PM.webp

Personally... I'd be running away from them.

Last edited:
Dump the cname for www and use an A record:
View attachment 75568

Also, if you do mail on your server (which is responding on port 25) you need to follow the two recommendations (this won't have anything to do with the speed though)

View attachment 75569

Your server is apparently set up to serve SSL - but no certificate (and it routes to a weird page - probably something to do with BlueHost), but then it redirects to your site with ~khmediaf/ on the end of the domain.

View attachment 75570

Personally... I'd be running away from them.

That might be from when we moved from KH-MediaFlare to KH-Flare and set up redirects. Either @Sean Bagby or @Nights, the server experts, will have to take a look next time they're on.

@Amaury Allow me to tell you about EIG. First there is no working with them. The company has bought a lot of known host, who use to be very highly recommend, but once EIG moves in, all hope is lost.

What they end up doing is selling all the good hardware and replacing it with low grade, though be it energy efficient hardware. Then they pack as many customers as they can into that box. While doing this, they also fire most of the original staff to bare bones minimum levels of support.

Once you have problems, forget about it.

On WebHostingTalk.com there is a thread where a customer was asked if they were not saficfied? After replying no, they terminated her account. Many others are left waiting hours, days, and even in rare cases weeks before someone answers a ticket. Often being told something was fixed, when there is no change.

Do search on them.... This is the "lighter side" of what they do to customers.

Speed appears to be getting back to normal -- at least from what I can see without having a way to do an actual test. I'll continue monitoring it throughout the day.

@Tracy Perry, @Adam Howard: Not sure if they're related to the issues, but I have 274 errors displaying in the server error logs in the admin control panel (I didn't notice them until today since I haven't been on the main admin control page for a while, only deleting spam bot accounts), spread across 14 pages. All of them are the exact same error, but they're all in different locations on ANYTHING you can do: a thread, Current Visitors page, member profile, style selection, a user's location field, etc.:

User khmediaf_Xenf3 already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections Monday at 6:07 AM - library/Zend/Db/Adapter/Mysqli.php:333

They start on Monday at 6:07 AM and end on Monday ay 6:22 AM.

Obviously, I won't show every single error here, but to give you guys an idea:
Code:
Error Info
Zend_Db_Adapter_Mysqli_Exception: User khmediaf_Xenf3 already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections - library/Zend/Db/Adapter/Mysqli.php:333
Generated By: Unknown Account, Monday at 6:07 AM
Stack Trace

#0 /home3/khmediaf/public_html/library/Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php(315): Zend_Db_Adapter_Mysqli->_connect()
#1 /home3/khmediaf/public_html/library/XenForo/Application.php(685): Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->getConnection()
#2 [internal function]: XenForo_Application->loadDb(Object(Zend_Config))
#3 /home3/khmediaf/public_html/library/XenForo/Application.php(922): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
#4 /home3/khmediaf/public_html/library/XenForo/Application.php(953): XenForo_Application->lazyLoad('db', NULL)
#5 /home3/khmediaf/public_html/library/XenForo/Application.php(1481): XenForo_Application::get('db')
#6 /home3/khmediaf/public_html/library/XenForo/Model.php(161): XenForo_Application::getDb()
#7 /home3/khmediaf/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/DataRegistry.php(138): XenForo_Model->_getDb()
#8 /home3/khmediaf/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/DataRegistry.php(97): XenForo_Model_DataRegistry->_getMultiFromDb(Array)
#9 /home3/khmediaf/public_html/library/XenForo/Dependencies/Abstract.php(144): XenForo_Model_DataRegistry->getMulti(Array)
#10 /home3/khmediaf/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(127): XenForo_Dependencies_Abstract->preLoadData()
#11 /home3/khmediaf/public_html/index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#12 {main}

Request State

array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(40) "http://www.kh-mediaflare.net/members/53/"
  ["_GET"] => array(0) {
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(0) {
  }
}

max_user_connections

This means that your site was reaching the max connections allowed by your host. I visited your site and it said there was only 7 people online and that was including guest.

Again... EIG. You need a new host.

Reactions: rdn
@Tracy Perry, @Adam Howard: Not sure if they're related to the issues, but I have 274 errors displaying in the server error logs in the admin control panel (I didn't notice them until today since I haven't been on the main admin control page for a while, only deleting spam bot accounts), spread across 14 pages. All of them are the exact same error, but they're all in different locations on ANYTHING you can do: a thread, Current Visitors page, member profile, style selection, a user's location field, etc.:

User khmediaf_Xenf3 already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections Monday at 6:07 AM - library/Zend/Db/Adapter/Mysqli.php:333

They start on Monday at 6:07 AM and end on Monday ay 6:22 AM.

Obviously, I won't show every single error here, but to give you guys an idea:
Code:
Error Info
Zend_Db_Adapter_Mysqli_Exception: User khmediaf_Xenf3 already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections - library/Zend/Db/Adapter/Mysqli.php:333
Generated By: Unknown Account, Monday at 6:07 AM
Stack Trace

#0 /home3/khmediaf/public_html/library/Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php(315): Zend_Db_Adapter_Mysqli->_connect()
#1 /home3/khmediaf/public_html/library/XenForo/Application.php(685): Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->getConnection()
#2 [internal function]: XenForo_Application->loadDb(Object(Zend_Config))
#3 /home3/khmediaf/public_html/library/XenForo/Application.php(922): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
#4 /home3/khmediaf/public_html/library/XenForo/Application.php(953): XenForo_Application->lazyLoad('db', NULL)
#5 /home3/khmediaf/public_html/library/XenForo/Application.php(1481): XenForo_Application::get('db')
#6 /home3/khmediaf/public_html/library/XenForo/Model.php(161): XenForo_Application::getDb()
#7 /home3/khmediaf/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/DataRegistry.php(138): XenForo_Model->_getDb()
#8 /home3/khmediaf/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/DataRegistry.php(97): XenForo_Model_DataRegistry->_getMultiFromDb(Array)
#9 /home3/khmediaf/public_html/library/XenForo/Dependencies/Abstract.php(144): XenForo_Model_DataRegistry->getMulti(Array)
#10 /home3/khmediaf/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(127): XenForo_Dependencies_Abstract->preLoadData()
#11 /home3/khmediaf/public_html/index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#12 {main}

Request State

array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(40) "http://www.kh-mediaflare.net/members/53/"
  ["_GET"] => array(0) {
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(0) {
  }
}
It's your host limitation already exceeded.
As other suggested already, switch to a decent host.

As Adam said, you reached your max mysql connections (probably 25 is what is typical) and until a connection is freed no other connections can occur. Very frequent happening with a shared hosting environment. You can look at a higher end shared solution or go with a reasonable size VPS. The VPS will pretty much (until you get REALLY busy) solve most of your problems.

max_user_connections

This means that your site was reaching the max connections allowed by your host. I visited your site and it said there was only 7 people online and that was including guest.

Again... EIG. You need a new host.

It's your host limitation already exceeded.
As other suggested already, switch to a decent host.

As Adam said, you reached your max mysql connections (probably 25 is what is typical) and until a connection is freed no other connections can occur. Very frequent happening with a shared hosting environment. You can look at a higher end shared solution or go with a reasonable size VPS. The VPS will pretty much (until you get REALLY busy) solve most of your problems.

It's really up to Sean, so I'll point him to this thread as soon as he's on again. We actually discussed switching hosts a few months ago and were going to switch to Host Gator, but Sean never got around to it.

In the meantime, I'm going to submit a ticket.

Top Bottom