XF 1.3 Server Issues

Amaury

I'm not sure how to test the speed, but the site's been slow since being renewed. (The link to the site is in my signature if anyone wants to test it.)

@Nights will take a look when he's able to get online, but any ideas on what the issue could be?

Last edited:
It's really up to Sean, so I'll point him to this thread as soon as he's on again. We actually discussed switching hosts a few months ago and were going to switch to Host Gator, but Sean never got around to it.
HostGator will put you in the same situation unless you go their higher end services... and if I remember correctly they are also owned by EIG.

It's really up to Sean, so I'll point him to this thread as soon as he's on again. We actually discussed switching hosts a few months ago and were going to switch to Host Gator, but Sean never got around to it.

In the meantime, I'm going to submit a ticket.
So you were never going to switch host. You only "thought" you were switching host.

The thing about EIG is they do not advertise themselves as EIG. They're sneaky like that.

Most companies when they take over another company, they brag about it and tell the world. For example, when IBM bought Softlayer, they told everyone and even their logo says, "Softlayer An IBM Company".

EIG does not do that. EIG keeps quiet and virtually tells no one. That way when you're tried of dealing with X brand, you switch to Y brand, but all you really did was stick to the same host company, EIG.

Avoid anyone in this list
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endurance_International_Group

So you were never going to switch host. You only "thought" you were switching host.

The thing about EIG is they do not advertise themselves as EIG. They're sneaky like that.

Unlike most companies when they take over another company, they brag about it and tell the world. For example, when IBM bought Softlayer, they told everyone and even their logo says, "Softlayer An IBM Company".

EIG does not do that. EIG keeps quiet and virtually tells no one. That way when you're tried of dealing with X brand, you switch to Y brand, but all you really did was stick to the same host company, EIG.

Avoid anyone in this list
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endurance_International_Group

We were having some issues a while back (around the end of last year), which is what made us consider switching hosts, but the issues resolved themselves shortly afterward.

We were having some issues a while back (around the end of last year), which is what made us consider switching hosts, but the issues resolved themselves shortly afterward.
And they're back now (else you would not be having this issues you are today). Trust me, you'll be happier avoiding EIG.

And they're back now (else you would not be having this issues you are today). Trust me, you'll be happier avoiding EIG.

KH-Flare has been on Bluehost since the site opened on August 30, 2011. I joined on September 10, 2011, and this is really the first time we've had issues this bad, so we've been pretty happy with Bluehost.

The issues I mentioned above were small and temporary, only lasting a few hours. They were generally the "connection timed out" and "server is taking too long to respond," errors, but I think most of those were because Bluehost was doing maintenance.

But yes, as soon as Nights and Sean are on Skype again, we're going to discuss it in the staff group chat.

@Tracy Perry: I forgot to ask, but in an earlier post today, you mentioned that until a connection becomes available, we'll have these issues. Is that why the site seems to be going back and forth between bad and normal-ish today?

Last edited:
yep... and probably the same reason that you have gotten the connection timed out and server taking to long to respond errors... so if that's been going on a while you've been hitting the ceiling of your package limits for that long (even if not frequently).

If you have cPanel, you should be able to log in and monitor the connections there (at least for the short <VERY SHORT> time I was with HostGator you could).

On the bright side, the issues aren't half as bad as on Sean's other site, which I think is also on Bluehost -- Pokémon Unplugged -- where there's a ton of spam, and I can't do any type of moderation or use the spam cleaner. There are about 65,420 threads and posts, and they're all spam, except for maybe one or two by Sean.

KH-Flare is still sending out e-mails properly as well.

So yeah, Unplugged is also on Bluehost, so my best guess is that all that spam is also contributing to the major issues on there.

Anyway, Sean is in the process right now of getting us transferred to HostGator since he already has an account with them. Ironically, the server is behaving today. Maybe it's because it doesn't want us to leave. :p

So yeah, Unplugged is also on Bluehost, so my best guess is that all that spam is also contributing to the major issues on there.

Anyway, Sean is in the process right now of getting us transferred to HostGator since he already has an account with them. Ironically, the server is behaving today. Maybe it's because it doesn't want us to leave. :p

Your best bet in a server, at least one that's built around XenForo hosting, is xFhost. xFhost was actually bought buy IQnection not that long ago. You can read the details here.

It might be a bit pricey but it's well worth it. I actually plan on upgrading to the xenXtreme package whenever I decide to actually get some attention for my site. With 2,000 GB bandwidth a month, an 80 GB hard drive, and up to 500 guests allowed at any given time ... it's worth it. For KH-Flare though, I believe the xenBasic would suffice. 10 GB HD, 200 GB monthly bandwidth, and up to 100 guests allowed at any given time. I'd recommend xFhost to anyone who's serious about their XenForo forum.

At any rate, HostGator should suffice for now but it is highly recommended that thought is given to transferring to a higher grade host in the future.

Your best bet in a server, at least one that's built around XenForo hosting, is xFhost. xFhost was actually bought buy IQnection not that long ago. You can read the details here.

It might be a bit pricey but it's well worth it. I actually plan on upgrading to the xenXtreme package whenever I decide to actually get some attention for my site. With 2,000 GB bandwidth a month, an 80 GB hard drive, and up to 500 guests allowed at any given time ... it's worth it. For KH-Flare though, I believe the xenBasic would suffice. 10 GB HD, 200 GB monthly bandwidth, and up to 100 guests allowed at any given time. I'd recommend xFhost to anyone who's serious about their XenForo forum.

At any rate, HostGator should suffice for now but it is highly recommended that thought is given to transferring to a higher grade host in the future.

Yeah, I think we should just do that, as you suggested in your text as well.

The site's been frequently going down for a few hours at a time since yesterday evening, and it's getting annoying:

upload_2014-6-22_19-42-31.webp

Just as an update: @Nights began the process of moving KH-Flare to his hosting service this morning around 5:30 AM my time / 8:30 AM his time, and it should be done by the day's end. I can't wait, and I know @Sean Bagby's also happy about it.

The site will be down all day, but it's worth it.

@Tracy Perry: Tagging you as you were a major part of this discussion.

The migration is complete, though it will take about another 24 hours for us to officially be hosted on the new host since the name servers need to update.

The migration is complete, though it will take about another 24 hours for us to officially be hosted on the new host since the name servers need to update.
Just finished setting up a VPS for another guy. Once we had his DB installed and the forum structure over updated his DNS and about 2 minutes later we were hitting it. :)

So, this is an issue I've had since last night. I'm going wait out the 24 hours and see if it clears up then, but I currently cannot access the site, and it's something @Nights was also getting, though it cleared up for him. One of our regular members is also accessing the site just fine, so it's something on my end:

upload_2014-7-8_9-28-16.webp

Shortly after posting the above, I was finally able to reach the site, but I was presented with this: ""An unexpected database error occurred. Please try again later."

It was due to an error @Nights made, but it is now fixed:

Nights said:
Apologies you guys. I am so sorry. I made a mistake in editing the config.php file which denied access to the database. It's fixed now, promise, as well as being upgraded to 1.3.3. It is fixed for sure this time. Everything is running fine and fast. No more download popups.

@Tracy Perry, check out dat speed!

Top Bottom