Server error when trying to run the install

Susannah

Hey! :)

I've run into some problems when trying to run the install, and I'm afraid I'm not knowledgeable enough about servers to figure out what the issue is.
I ran the compatibility file, and it's compatible ... and we have mysql 5 something - so that can't be the issue, presumably. I've uploaded the files, changed the directory permissions on the two folders I was directed to, and then tried to run the install, but it instead brought up a server error, as follows :

Server Error

scandir(/usr/www/users/csforum/xen/data) [<a href='function.scandir'>function.scandir</a>]: failed to open dir: Permission denied
  1. XenForo_Application::handlePhpError()
  2. scandir()in/usr/www/users/csforum/xen/library/XenForo/Install/Model/Install.phpat line67
  3. XenForo_Install_Model_Install->getRequirementErrors()in/usr/www/users/csforum/xen/library/XenForo/Install/Controller/Install.phpat line22
  4. XenForo_Install_Controller_Install->actionIndex()in/usr/www/users/csforum/xen/library/XenForo/FrontController.phpat line303
  5. XenForo_FrontController->dispatch()in/usr/www/users/csforum/xen/library/XenForo/FrontController.phpat line132
  6. XenForo_FrontController->run()in/usr/www/users/csforum/xen/install/index.phpat line17

Our server site is sometimes a bit weird - it's a dedicated server ... and the place we're hosted isn't specifically set up for forums like some of the more common hosts are so sometimes there's some weird hoops to jump through. I'm wondering if something like that is causing the problem?

Does anyone have any ideas? :)

scandir(/usr/www/users/csforum/xen/data) [<a href='function.scandir'>function.scandir</a>]: failed to open dir: Permission denied

It appears to be having trouble with the data directory. Make sure that directory exists and double check the permissions. Make sure it's writable.

Thanks Jake!

I've just checked the permissions on that dir and even reuploaded it and changed the permissions again. I have it set to chmod 733 ... is that the right setting? I used filezilla to change the permissions ... could it be some problem with that?

Actually ... I was presuming it wouldn't need read permission as well as write and execute... should it be 777 for both the data directories rather than 733? (Duh me!)

Ha! Now I feel like a total idiot! :D In my defence, my M.E. causes some pretty major concentration and memory symptoms that make it really difficult to work on stuff like this these days.
Thanks so much both of you ... the install dialogue has come up now so hopefully it will run ok. Phew!

Top Bottom