Sendy For Email Marketing

Thanks for that. I'm a bit confused though, doesn't Sendy run on your own server? How do the emails get from Xenforo to Sendy and then to Amazon if Sendy is on my server? I'm currently running Amazon SES via [bd]mails.

Thanks for that. I'm a bit confused though, doesn't Sendy run on your own server? How do the emails get from Xenforo to Sendy and then to Amazon if Sendy is on my server? I'm currently running Amazon SES via [bd]mails.

Most standup a new server and install Sendy on it. Therefore it has a different IP than your forum machine. When I get an email from my sendy marketing campaign it always shows as amazon ses sending the email.. so I would assume it's using an Amazon IP but I'm not 100% positive.

If using SES, there is no need for a new IP. That is what SES does, it worries about the authenticity of its sending IP's. You do all your mailing in Sendy. If you're just talking about the notices and things XF send, then as you have it, XF to SES. Sendy is no different though, in that it is Sendy to SES. There are add ons here if you want to sync XF with Sendy.

If using SES, there is no need for a new IP. That is what SES does, it worries about the authenticity of its sending IP's. You do all your mailing in Sendy. If you're just talking about the notices and things XF send, then as you have it, XF to SES. Sendy is no different though, in that it is Sendy to SES. There are add ons here if you want to sync XF with Sendy.
Can you link me to an addon that synchs registered emails on XF with a specific list id in Sendy ? I did not find anything useful, then again, i might be too old to notice it :s

I had to disable Bd Mails because it wasn't routing the newsletters and separate support emails correctly. Once I disabled it and set it up without the Bd Mails it works just fine. I use Nobita's Sendy integration and that is what has been working better for me. It also allows me to sync correctly between the banned, bounced, and normal.

I am sorry for such a newbie question, because I am still new to newsletter thing in XF.

What is the difference between sending email via Sendy.co and with the default option of XF: email users?

I mean, literally, what are the benefits of Sendy. I still does not know why use Sendy, compared to the default feature of XF which is free and no cost.

Elaboration will be highly appreciated please. Thank you a lot :)

It comes down to how many emails land in your member's inbox. Your server (the xF) is not as trusted as an Amazon mail server. The trust is really what drives the sendy stuff, plus all of the reports and campaigns. You have so much with Sendy. I just did a YouTube video on it last night and I still need to write the in depth post with it. Sendy is powerful for marketing. When I have everything up I can PM you the links if you want.

It comes down to how many emails land in your member's inbox. Your server (the xF) is not as trusted as an Amazon mail server. The trust is really what drives the sendy stuff, plus all of the reports and campaigns. You have so much with Sendy. I just did a YouTube video on it last night and I still need to write the in depth post with it. Sendy is powerful for marketing. When I have everything up I can PM you the links if you want.
I really look forward for your video Beanfan78. Thank you for the tip.

And next questions:
  1. So if we use Sendy, the chance that email delivered to recipients' inbox are higher because of the trust right? Because I've heard so many people claim that their email go straight to the spam folder (marked as spam).
  2. And if we use Sendy, the newletter needs to be hand picked and sent manually right? once a month, or once a week, it is up to our preferences? or just automatically?
  3. I read that Sendy gives us the option to use the default layout by them or just import new ones, or just use no template. My question: where do I get the new template, other than the ones included in Sendy app, to import? I saw there are in Themeforest but I do not know how things work with the email templates in Themeforest. Do we just need to purchase and import the template to Sendy and voila just do a slight changes and write the newsletter, and send them?
sorry for the trouble @beanfan78 thank you very much for your kindness.

These questions are ones many people have because email servers are difficult. We all are used to the Gmail or whatever you use. It's simple and just a quick login, well xF, Sendy, or anything else like them are much harder because we are sending emails to lots of people. Each server has it's own trust and you have to configure everything to run just right. I don't consider your questions really meant as newbie types. Email is probably the hardest part of the entire equation.

1. The answer is yes. Amazon servers are considered highly trustworthy.
2. You have to manually setup the templates, newsletters and the lists. You can schedule them but there is no daily or monthly unless you create it. It's not an auto responder. Sendy is simply for email marketing or newsletters. Here is the video I did last night on Sendy.
3. You can copy and paste MailChimp templates like I did and change the code to fit my needs. You can Google newsletter or email templates. There are plenty out there for free. You have to do the lifting though. Sendy is not like MailChimp.

I am happy to answer questions. I have used Sendy since last October I believe.

Thank you so much Adam Mulholland! I will check your video as soon as I can and will let you know if there is questions again. I highly appreciate your answer. Thanks mate :)

These questions are ones many people have because email servers are difficult. We all are used to the Gmail or whatever you use. It's simple and just a quick login, well xF, Sendy, or anything else like them are much harder because we are sending emails to lots of people. Each server has it's own trust and you have to configure everything to run just right. I don't consider your questions really meant as newbie types. Email is probably the hardest part of the entire equation.

1. The answer is yes. Amazon servers are considered highly trustworthy.
2. You have to manually setup the templates, newsletters and the lists. You can schedule them but there is no daily or monthly unless you create it. It's not an auto responder. Sendy is simply for email marketing or newsletters. Here is the video I did last night on Sendy.
3. You can copy and paste MailChimp templates like I did and change the code to fit my needs. You can Google newsletter or email templates. There are plenty out there for free. You have to do the lifting though. Sendy is not like MailChimp.

I am happy to answer questions. I have used Sendy since last October I believe.

Sendy is a newsletter program, XF is not. You can send via Amazon SES with XF and have the same delivery outcome. Sendy is not about email, it is about newsletters for email, and can optionally connect with SES for full integration with complaints and bounce handling. XF can only handle bounces, not complaints, and doesn't provide email tracking statistics and such for your campaign, which is what Sendy does.

Sendy is a newsletter program, XF is not. You can send via Amazon SES with XF and have the same delivery outcome. Sendy is not about email, it is about newsletters for email, and can optionally connect with SES for full integration with complaints and bounce handling. XF can only handle bounces, not complaints, and doesn't provide email tracking statistics and such for your campaign, which is what Sendy does.
Thank you Anthony for the explanation :)

What architecture are people using for Sendy installation on their server?
  1. Sendy within the same webserver (I use nginx) virtual host as XF in a sub directory (eg. /smailer/ )
  2. Sendy by itself within a new webserver virtual host. e.g. mysmailer.com
  3. Sendy by itself with a new webserver virtual host subdomain. e.g. smailer.mysite.com

We do number 3. We have a $20 Digital Ocean droplet just for our two Sendy installs which are Christian Forums and Whipp Media

The $5 droplet won't work unless you also add swap space and the $10 droplet for us was close to using all the ram when sending. Keep in mind that Digital Ocean does not recommend adding swap space due to their use of SSDs.

I used https://serversmtp.com to get my list initially cleaned

Using Sendy, when you establish a campaign (Called Brand in Sendy), you can enter a SMTP of your choosing if you don't want to use Amazon or your own server (obvious dangers there). I went with the above, who have full bounce, complaint and such handling already. I could then export the list from the SMTP and import it into Sendy, thus a clean list with pretty much only bounces or complaints that are going to be new, and not attached to older account emails.
Is this still the best way to get a list cleaned? I've just tried to register with serversmtp but their free plan only allows 200 emails per day, I need to send just over 9000 to clean my list. :( Is there a faster way of doing it? Thanks.

Is this still the best way to get a list cleaned? I've just tried to register with serversmtp but their free plan only allows 200 emails per day, I need to send just over 9000 to clean my list. :( Is there a faster way of doing it? Thanks.

Use an email cleaning service. We have used https://www.listwisehq.com/ on up to almost 1 million emails and it worked great.

Top Bottom