Send a PM via profile?

Gladius

Either I'm missing something, or there actually isn't a link anywhere in a member's profile to send them a PM? Huh?

Oh my god, that's kinda the equivalent of stashing it where the sun don't shine, putting it that deep and down... I've spent 5 minutes looking at several profiles and all the tabs and I haven't found it, it's so easy to overlook it along with Content. Content/Conversation look very much alike to boot. Not to mention I had to first figure out that in XF conversation = PM.

The placement for this definitely needs to be changed. If I couldn't find it, I'm sure plenty of other people won't either.

Likewise, you could click on their picture in a thread, that will bring up the Member Card. From there you can start a conversation and view a summary of what is on the profile page, including Start a Conversation.

I do see your point, I hardly ever visit the actual profile page on my board (just because the member card is just handy!) A small template edit can fix that for you though, placing it up by the Follow link, if they do not see it worth adding.

I don't see the 'massive fail' here. The contact information is under the info tab, it's just that XF did it different than other solutions.

However it may help to add it somewhere more noticable? It never bothered me to be honest, member cards are much quicker.

I know where it now, Floris... problem is, almost nobody else does the first time they see XF profiles. Check Kier's profile for example - you need to scroll past more than a whole page's worth of irrelevant "About" info only to find it right at the bottom of all that. Below Kier's feet pic... Most people wouldn't scroll past that, assuming that there's nothing of interest below, let alone crucial functionality.

Thanks for the plug fix, but this really is something that shouldn't need to be patched manually.

I've had a few complaints about this as well. Despite being only a tab away, it gets overlooked. Might be a good idea to add a "contact" tab to the profile page with any email/twitter/facebook/IM links as well as an icon to start a private conversation.

I've had a few complaints about this as well. Despite being only a tab away, it gets overlooked. Might be a good idea to add a "contact" tab to the profile page with any email/twitter/facebook/IM links as well as an icon to start a private conversation.

I agree on the need for prominence here so I've done exactly that using Fuhrmann's profile tabs manager to create a new tab
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/pfps-com-br-profile-tab-manager.21917/#post-284779

and I put a Create Conversation button under the avatar on left as well.

SCREENSHOT
profile start convo.webp

Sounds like a good idea, this prevents more clutter in the sidebar anyway. I like what you did there.

"Information" -> "About me"
New tab "Interact" or "Contact" = all contact info.

Or make the "Start Conversation" link more notable on the "Information" or "About Me" tab.

Top Bottom