1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Send a PM via profile?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Gladius, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Gladius

Gladius Well-Known Member

Either I'm missing something, or there actually isn't a link anywhere in a member's profile to send them a PM? Huh?
  2. Vincent

Vincent Well-Known Member

There is, with "Information -> Start a Conversation"
  3. Gladius

Oh my god, that's kinda the equivalent of stashing it where the sun don't shine, putting it that deep and down... I've spent 5 minutes looking at several profiles and all the tabs and I haven't found it, it's so easy to overlook it along with Content. Content/Conversation look very much alike to boot. Not to mention I had to first figure out that in XF conversation = PM.

The placement for this definitely needs to be changed. If I couldn't find it, I'm sure plenty of other people won't either.
    qpa, dedi adinata, Kim and 4 others like this.
  4. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

5. Gladius

Good to see I'm not the only one...
  6. Decent60

Decent60 Well-Known Member

Likewise, you could click on their picture in a thread, that will bring up the Member Card. From there you can start a conversation and view a summary of what is on the profile page, including Start a Conversation.
  7. Gladius

That one is visible enough, but in profiles? That's really something so basic that it should have been fixed before gold.
    erich37 likes this.
  8. Decent60

Decent60 Well-Known Member

I do see your point, I hardly ever visit the actual profile page on my board (just because the member card is just handy!) A small template edit can fix that for you though, placing it up by the Follow link, if they do not see it worth adding.
  9. Gladius

Come on guys, this is a massive fail at usability 101. How about fixing it already?
  10. dutchbb

dutchbb Well-Known Member

I don't see the 'massive fail' here. The contact information is under the info tab, it's just that XF did it different than other solutions.

However it may help to add it somewhere more noticable? It never bothered me to be honest, member cards are much quicker.
  11. M@rc

M@rc Well-Known Member

12. Floris

Floris Guest

There is: Information tab > start a conversation.

That said, I've made a quick plugin that adds this link to the 'frontpage' of the users' social profile.
    Rob Fritz and Fuhrmann like this.
  13. Gladius

I know where it now, Floris... problem is, almost nobody else does the first time they see XF profiles. Check Kier's profile for example - you need to scroll past more than a whole page's worth of irrelevant "About" info only to find it right at the bottom of all that. Below Kier's feet pic... Most people wouldn't scroll past that, assuming that there's nothing of interest below, let alone crucial functionality.

Thanks for the plug fix, but this really is something that shouldn't need to be patched manually.
    Floris and Fuhrmann like this.
  14. Jesepi

Jesepi Well-Known Member

I've had a few complaints about this as well. Despite being only a tab away, it gets overlooked. Might be a good idea to add a "contact" tab to the profile page with any email/twitter/facebook/IM links as well as an icon to start a private conversation.
    Gladius likes this.
  15. Morgain

Morgain Well-Known Member

I agree on the need for prominence here so I've done exactly that using Fuhrmann's profile tabs manager to create a new tab

and I put a Create Conversation button under the avatar on left as well.

profile start convo.png
  16. Gladius

That's heaps better... I hope any of the devs are paying attention. Such small tweaks make all the difference in usability.
  17. dutchbb

dutchbb Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good idea, this prevents more clutter in the sidebar anyway. I like what you did there.

"Information" -> "About me"
    New tab "Interact" or "Contact" = all contact info.

Or make the "Start Conversation" link more notable on the "Information" or "About Me" tab.